Anyone heard GR Research Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Torgny Nilsson, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

The GR Research A/V-1+ speakers have been recommended to me but I have never heard them. Does anyone own them or has anyone compared them to anything else?

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I finished a pair of the A/V-1s about a month ago, and they are simply amazing. The A/V-1+s are supposedly better. There are several reviews over at AA, and I am sure Martice, who owns a pair, will respond shortly.

For the money, they really can't be beat if you like the sound. I think Danny at GR Research has a pair for auditions (or it may just be the A/V-1s). I built mine based purely on word of mouth, and have not been disappointed.

Supposedly the Secrets page will be posting a review of the A/V-1s where they are compared to Dynaudio speakers costing $2K, and the reviewer says the differences are not substantial.

Hope this helps.

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I currently have one of the demo AV-1 pairs and will be posting my thoughts in a few days. While there are three (I think) demo pairs of AV-1s circulating and one pair of Criterions, there are no demo pairs of AV-1+s.

When I post my thoughts there will probably be comparisons with Ascends CBM-170s, Rocket RS150/250s and Onix Ref1s.

4. george king

BradJudy,

Want to give a hint as to your thoughts?

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I'm interested in opinions also. The idea of being able to vary the GR's cabinet veneer and stain is very appealing for WAF....not to mention they seem to represent a good value if you do some of the work.

Bob

6. george king

Bob-N,

You got the value issue right. I bought unfinished cabinets from Brian, got the BH5 and caps upgrade. I just eventually painted mine a high gloss black (they look pretty good, but not as nice as Brian's veneer job). So for about $400-500 I got some amazing speakers, that sound better than quite a few 4 digit monitors (Concertino, B&W 1NT and a couple of others). Not bad at all.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brad,

Actually, Danny has 3 pairs of A/V-1+ cabinets that we built for him for the sole purpose of using them as demos to ship around the country just like the A/V-1's. I do know that he is very busy so I'm not sure when he'll get around to sending them out.

8. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

George, funny you should mention the CDM1NTs. I have those right now and do like them a lot. However, I don't see them matching much of anything once we redo our living room decor.

What character do the AV's have? I tend to like B&W's more forward sound vs. a laid back sound.

I may have to get into that AV-1+ demo rotation to check them out.

Bob

9. george king

Bob

I have never heard the 1+s, but I posted my review of the 1s here about a month ago. The 1 is a very neutral and smooth speaker, but slightly on the warmish side - again like the Dynaudios. To be honest, I never particularly cared for the sound of B&W speakers, and used to own Kefs. The A/V-1s sounded better than the RDM 2s, and in terms of midrange and up, better than the Reference 1.

I think one of the really big advantages of the A/V-1 is that it is a very forgiving speaker - it will sound great with lots of different components, so there is less need to worry about component matching. This does not mean that it is a muddy speaker as the extraction of low level details is quite stunning.

Hope this helps.

10. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

George,

I'm going to hold off on making any comments until I get an opportunity to listen on some other components and do some more comparisons. I will say that I do agree with much of what you have said about them.

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The first thing I noticed when I finished my AV1's over a year ago was the imaging and broad soundstage were greatly enhanced. The detail and clarity were the best I have heard in a speaker this small and in this price range. I am extremelly happy with my AV1's and enjoy them every day. One note... the sensitivity of these speakers is a little lower than the normal bookshelf but I would gladly trade off sensitivity for the sound they put out.

12. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Thanks George for your feedback. Good to know the context of your comments and your preferences.

Bob

13. george king

Bob,

No problem, this way everyone knows the context. The A/V-1s are smoother than the 1NTs, but not as forward. These are speakers that you can listen to for hours, and not experience any fatigue. The GRs also seemed to do a better job at retrieving details, but the difference was not striking. I also think that the A/V-1s sound better than the Concertinos.

14. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

I just received three A/V-1+ built by Brian at Rutledge Audio Design. One word... Incredible!
    I auditioned the Sonus Faber Concertos and B&W N805s prior to pulling the trigger on the A/V-1+. I have no regrets at all. The speakers sound as everyone describes and the custom finish is beautiful.

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Robert,

I'm glad you like them and that they arrived OK. I noticed you guys had some rough weather out there last week and was worried they might get damaged in the extended time they were in UPS's possession.

16. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

There is not much I can say that my happy customers have not already said, but I would like to update you guys on the status of the in home demo models you are discussing.

I currently have two pairs of A/V-1+'s in circulation.

A really nice looking Maple pair is currently in San Diego. They are then headed to San Francisco and on to Apple Valley, CA (wherever that is). Adding another stop in the San Francisco area would be no problem.

I also have an Oak pair of A/V-1+'s in the South Boston Area.

The audition list for both of these is currently not too long.

I also currently have two pairs of A/V-1's in circulation.

Brad has the Cherry pair, as he mentioned here, and is in the Denver area. If there are any more of you in that area that would like to give them a listen speak up now.

There is also an Oak pair in Connecticut. The audition list for these is also quite short. Speak up now and you can receive this pair soon.

There is currently three pairs of Criterion's on the audition trail. All are currently either on the East coast or upper Mid-west.

The list for these is currently about three months long even with three pairs out there.

I hope this helps.

Have fun...

17. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I would like to audition a pair of AV1+'s!!

Doh!!

Wait a minute I have three of them already.

Nice speakers. Nice Company. Nice Owner.

Howdy Danny. Long time no speak.

** I have the criterion itch but I don't have the Criterion scratch just yet.

18. Dick N

Dick N Extra

Any chance the AV1+'s demo pair can come for a vacation up North, sure look pretty, like to hear them though?

19. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I had the chance to listen to some AV1+ at a local Austin HTF meet and they sounded incredible. I decided that when the funds become available that I would build a full set (3 AV1+ and 2 AV1) for my HT. I currently have JBL doing the job until those funds do become available.

I would definitely be interested in auditioning a pair of AV1+.....how long would the waiting list be for those speakers to make it into central Texas?

20. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Interesting. What's the ETA for the SF visit? Maybe I can scam on a sneek listen to them when they arrive in the Bay Area. Then later on, in my system.

Bob