Anyone heard Bill Evans [email protected] on SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I know that Analog Productions recently released the Bill Evans Trio's "Sunday at the Village Vanugard" on a hybrid SACD. Has anyone heard it yet?
    I have the XRCD which is pretty spectacular itself! I was wondering specifically if the cymbals on the SACD version are improved upon even further.
    Sidebar: I also have "Waltz for Debby" as a 20-bit K2 remastered CD but the fidelity is noticeably inferior to the "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" XRCD (which also uses the 20-bit K2 approach along with high-tolerance global word clocking). Since both albums were compiled from the same session (same engineer, same microphones, same tapes...) then what gives?
    -JNS

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'd love to hear a review of this disc too...

3. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I don't yet have Sunday at the Village Vanguard, but I do have the Waltz for Debby SACD and it's easily the best SACD I've heard (mind you, I haven't heard that many of them, yet). The percussion and cymbals possess a clarity and resonance I've never heard on CD.

4. Jagan Seshadri

I get the feeling that my K2 copy of Waltz for Debby may have been made from a 2nd-generation tape. Even from the 1st track "My Foolish Heart", I hear a lot of tape hiss, followed by tape dropouts on the beginning cymbal tapping. My XRCD copy of Sunday at the Village Vanguard, on the other hand, sounds great. The only anomaly on that recording is a warbling tape glitch at 2:43 on "Gloria's Step (Take 2)".

I'm just trying to ensure I'm not paying a premium to hear a flawed tape be transcribed to SACD format. I understand that these sessions are from 1961, but I've already heard large differences in the sound quality of "Sunday" and "Waltz"...

Donald, do the same hiss and dropouts occur on your SACD copy of the Waltz, on "My Foolish Heart" as happens on my K2 version?

-JNS

5. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I suspect what you think is tape hiss is really the sound of Paul Motian's gentle use of brushes on his snare drum, which is probably not adequately rendered on your CD. The extra resolution of SACD makes it clear what the "noise" is. I don't recall any dropouts. The whole disc has such a clarity that not only is there no hiss, it doesn't even sound like a recording.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

NP: Bill Evans, Sunday Night at the Village Vanguard, SACD

I have not done a direct comparison between this and the K-20 CD, nor have I heard the XRCD. I can only tell you what I hear now.

The cymbals are very detailed and clear, successfully recreating that watery effect that they have when you don't stop the vibration. I can hear LaFaro's fingers on the string. Acoustic bass in general is my favorite thing about SACD.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Ooh ooh... can you hear the upright's peg a'scraping? [​IMG]

8. Jagan Seshadri

Donald,

I know what you're talking about regarding Motian's brushwork sounding like a hiss, but I heard actual tape hiss since it preceded the music.

At any rate, from what you said, the SACD version of "Waltz" doesn't exhibit these problems. That's good! Thanks for your comments.

-JNS

9. Jagan Seshadri

Has anyone else had a chance to compare the SACD version to the XRCD or K2 version?

-JNS

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have Waltz for Debby and it blows away the XRCD version I have. The sonics are very good.
    Unfortunately this music just does not swing at all for me. I find it boring to be frank. I know I am going against jazz critics [​IMG] on this one but I know my jazz.
    I hope Village Vanguard is more lively.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. Jagan Seshadri

Lee and Mike, I agree.

The only Bill Evans album I like is Sunday at the Village Vanguard. I bought Waltz for Debby, Portrait in Jazz, and Everybody Digs Bill Evans, but they are sleepers. In fact, I think that Scott LaFaro's compositions are what makes "Sunday" a more uptempo album.

-JNS

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I love "Waltz for Debby", and picked up the SACD last week! Sounds absolutely amazing.

I'll be picking up "Village Vanguard" too, but I certainly hope no one skimming thru will think "Waltz" is second-rate. As much as I like "Vanguard", I prefer "Waltz". IMO, both albums are must-haves, for the wonderful interplay of the trio, for the amazing sound quality, and for Scott LaFaro.

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Rich, don't get me wrong, I like Debby. Evan's interpretations of some of those songs are simply wonderful, and his sense of melody and feeling are first-rate. I just personally prefer jazz that's, in general, more aggressive and deeply rooted in blues, which is why I'm not as big an Evans, Getz or Brubeck fans as other jazbos.

NP: Bill Bruford's Earthworks, Stamping Grounds

15. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Evans isn't as explosively visceral as a Coltrane or a Bud Powell, but his music packs a quiet potency. Waltz for Debby is very moving and just as engaging as anything that bops.

I just got Sunday at the Village Vanguard today, along with Cannonball Adderley and Evans's Know What I Mean? and Cosmo's Factory, and I'm off to soak them up right now!

Mike, have you gotten Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, and if so, does it sound as good the other Analogue Productions releases discussed in this thread? Everything I've heard from this company is outstanding!

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yes, I have the Art Pepper. It sounds great, though I have no basis of comparison, as I've never heard the album before.

Analogue Productions is one of those companies in which I pretty much put my faith into. If they have an SACD, I want it, it's that simple. I mean, really, has anyone here ever heard an AP SACD that didn't sound freakin' great?

Btw, I got all the same discs you did. They're great. I still need to listen to Cosmo's Factory and I also got Standard Coltrane. I'm still itching for that Monk album.

17. Jagan Seshadri

What is the track listing for "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" on SACD?

I have the XRCD version which has the following bonus tracks:

Gloria's Step (Take 3)
    Alice in Wonderland (Take 1)
    All of You (Take 3)
    Jade Visions (Take 1)

Does the SACD version have these extras or not?

-JNS

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

19. Jagan Seshadri

Purchased!
    This should be good [​IMG]
    -JNS