What's new

Anyone heard BIC America D26 bookshelves? (1 Viewer)

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I've been digging my BIC DV62CLRs center channel for a while and I've been planning on buying 2 sets of BIC DV62si's for my fronts and rears but now I'm kind of eyeing a set of the BIC D26's for my rears. Has anyone had or heard that particular speaker that could give feedback. Especially interested in hearing about performance as rears for watching movies in 5.1.

http://www.bicamerica.com/bookshelf%20specs.htm

brad cook

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't heard'em but those things sure look like the older Bose bookshelves, paper tweeters and all. I'm suprised Bose hasn't sued over this.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure they're paper? How can you tell? None of the other BIC products that I've looked at seem to use paper.

brad cook

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
That is just like the Bose 201 except that it also has a forward firing tweeter as well. That makes it just like a combination of Bose's Articulated Array and Stereo Targeting monkey-business. Expect the paper tweeters to lack detail.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,

I didn’t see a 62CLR at the site you linked, but the specs for the 62si says it has a poly dome tweeter. Not nearly as bad as paper cone, but still at the bottom end of the tweeter world. I’d go with the JBL’s you’ve also been looking into. I’m not particularly fond of JBL’s metal-dome tweeters either, but I’ll take them over poly dome any day.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

The CLRs (that's not plural) is the center channel. I only linked to their bookshelf speakers page. I did end up going with the JBLs. I ordered them yesterday. I'm glad I found that you could get them for so cheap before I ordered the BICs. I ended up getting a pair of JBL E30's for the fronts and a pair of E10's for the rears. With the free shipping from BH Photo that only cost me 9 dollars more than four BIC 62si's would've cost shipped from the cheapest place I could find them. I think I'm making out a little better.

brad cook

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
You guys are talking about two different model BIC speakers. The V62 is a traditional two way bookshelf speaker with a 6.5 inch graphite reinforced poly cone woofer and a 3/4" fabric dome tweeter . At least that's the one I owned years ago. Those DV26 , you guys are transposing your numbers look like some bose knock offs, I'd steer clear of those. BIC actually made some good bookshelves and small floorstanders. V52,62,620,etc. They were pretty well made for the money but didn't do a lot of advertising. The V52/62 models have remained relatively unchanged for the last 15 years. they were my first decent speakers when I bought them from Luskins back in 1990. I kept them as bedroom speakers for years until I bought a full set of Sound Dynamics , which have been replaced by the Athena line of loudspeakers. A buddy of mine still uses my old BIC speakers and prefers them to his newer, more expensive, Polk speakers.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if you're talking to me but I'm aware that they are two different models and that there are differences. I still think that the 62 bookshelf speakers are probably good stuff for the money but I've heard the JBL's and I know I like them so that's why I went with those instead. I think my BIC 62 center channel has been excellent.

brad cook

Joe-M

Auditioning
While I haven't heard one yet, I ordered the BIC 62CLR-S center channel speaker. They have some of the most glowing reviews I've ever seen on a speaker. Certainly looking forward to hearing them. Hopefully, they will be a good timbre match for my Genesis Physics surround system. I have a pair of Genesis 2's for the main and Genesis 1's for my surrounds. These are outstanding speakers from the late 70s. You can find great deals on these on E-Bay and are supported by Hue Powell at humanspeakers. I know a few of you use these and you know how good they are especially for the price.

Sorry about being long winded but a relatively inexpensive speaker setup for home theater is certainly within reach with the combination mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks