What's new

Anyone Hear anything else on Green Acres S2 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Or any of the MGM TV prduct continuing? Specifically Green Acres thou, the first set was fantastic and the series only gets better I hope they are going to continue them and I hope its more than one set a year.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Love those little green plants shoosting up into the sky.

Accompanied by the music that Eddie Albert can never hear.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

And of course, if anyone has seen Petticoat Junction, and knows what the Bradley girls look like, they'd understand why Lisa correctly calls the town Hootersville. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have always been a Green Acres fan.

All my TV watching gets done whilst I run
on my treadmill. I spent a good portion of
the last month watching the Season One set.

I was amazed to see how quickly the actors
nailed their mannerisms. Nothing about this
season looked different than any other season.
The shows are also just as funny.

I'm looking forward to the moment the actors
comment on the opening credits that flash across
the screen. Don't think that happens until much
later in the series, though.

Anyhow, I hope MGM gets the next seasons out shortly.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ron, I went to MGM's website and asked for more Seasons noting that I would buy them all. If anything the show did become even more surreal with the credits etc that you mentioned , as seasons wore on. The tail end of the 6th season was the weakest because I think the producers saw the end nearing and was using GA to do pilot spinoff shows like crazy, often with Lisa and Oliver doing bookends to those shows only. But overall the quality stayed up there. The quality of the MGM Prints for a show of this age was dazzling. Is there a better show to show off a Color TV With? Alot of shows in that era accentuated the colors because color Televisions were so new. The vests Oliver wore popped off his chest it was so vivid red !

As I was watching a bunch of my sitcom disks the other night it became so apparant the quality difference in picture between 60's Sitcom's and 70's sitcom's. Filming in front of Live audiences with shows caught on tape really killed the quality. Look at any ep of All in the Family, Sanford and Son, or Barney Miller they look Drab lifeless and undefined. Now Look at Gilligan's Island (B&W or Color) Green Acres, Get Smart, etc and it's Jar Dropping.

Bring on More Green Acres !

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and Barney Miller were shot on tape, so that's why they look flat, like taped stage plays, whereas Green Acres was shot on film, and looks gorgeous on DVD. Far better than TV Land's masters.

But remember that the future of MGM is in question, thus any more releases may not come out until it is settled. Remember that seasons 1 and 2 of Outer Limits (original) were spaced fairly far apart in their respective release dates.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
That was the point of my post that film as a medium was lost on 70's sitcoms and it was a damn shame. I agree MGM is pretty poor when releasing TV Product in a timely manner. Anyone that wants to encourage this release should go to their website and let your voice be heard.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I can't believe its been 7 months already, my how time flies. Having said that though, 7 months without an announcement is really not all that uncommon for shows, especially older ones. Given the future of MGM being up in the air, as others have pointed out this one might not see a season 2 release for awhile, but I'll bet one comes eventually, if not that would be really foolish.

I agree, I'll buy all the seasons, one of my favorite TV shows ever.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I hope that MGM annouces Season 2 of Green Acres. I have been a fan of Green Acres for many years, alway's have & alway's will be a fan of this show. I am one of those people who will defintely pick up Season 2.

I haven't watched my copy of Season 1 yet but it did check out several minutes of the first episode several months ago & it looks very good on DVD for a 1960's show.

BTW: I just started to watch Season 2 of All In The Family (I've had this for 1+ yrs but I just watched it today).

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
About filmed sitcoms looking better than taped ones ... so true!

I recently saw the DVD of Season One of Mary Tyler Moore and my eyes flew out like a character in a Tex Avery cartoon. It NEVER looked that good, not even when originally shown -- certainly not in syndication reruns.

I always thought MTM was a rather drab, colorless show -- not true, on DVD, at least.

I believe "All in the Family" started the trend of taping sitcoms instead of filming them (just a few months after the premiere of MTM.) I didn't like the idea then, and I don't like it now. Besides inferior picture quality, there's no music track, as you find in filmed shows.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Now I'm wondering -- how could "Green Acres" make it to a second season set before "The Beverly Hillbillies" has even had its FIRST season on DVD?

"Hillbillies" was the more successful show -- in fact, to this day, episodes from the first two seasons of "The Beverly Hillbillies" are the highest-rated regular episodes of any sitcom.

I know it's shown up on public domain sets, but why isn't "The Beverly Hillbillies" coming out in official season sets?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wonder if there's some rights issues keeping BH's off the market. I'd like BH but Green Acres Still makes me laugh more than any sitcom I watch

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Paramount owns Beverly Hillbillies (and Petticoat Junction), which they inherited from CBS, so it may need restoration work before it is in acceptable state for DVD release. Considering a glut of Paramount titles next year I wouldn't be surprised to see that one in the next couple of years.

Green Acres: S2 will be mine. I just hope it won't be 14-month intervals for the remaining seasons.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hee hee...can't wait until March. :emoji_thumbsup: Something to look forward to through the long, long winter.

Just saw the episode the other night about the chicken that was laying square eggs. Just about busted a gut! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks