Anyone having problems with The Vanishing: CC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lee, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

There's been no mention of any problems on HTF, so maybe it's just me, but I'm on my second copy now of The Vanishing: CC, and right at the same spot in the middle of chapter 10, as well as several places later on in the film, the disc freezes up and/or pixelates. (The discs themselves look outwardly fine, and this has happened twice now to new discs I had just opened.) Since I've seen no mention of problems from anyone else, it could be my player's fault (Sony 9000ES), though up until now it's been pretty much bulletproof with regard to disc tracking. Anyone else have any problems with this disc?

2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Mark,

I received this disc from my girlfriend for Christmas and I had no problem playing it on my Pioneer DVD/LD combo, 919 I think, but I am too lazy to check.

3. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

I had no trouble playing this either (on a multiregion Toshiba 210E), although I did notice some missing frames

in a scene near the end when Saskia is shown paying a cashier in the the shop

I put it down to an issue with the source material, but given the overall quality of the transfer I wasn't too bothered.

4. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    No problems with The Vanishing: CC on both my DVD-ROM and Pioneer player.

Unless it is a bad batch, its probably a problem with the player.

5. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

I just got this DVD this weekend and had the same problems as Mark. I exchanged it and there is a problem at the same spot in Chp. 10 on both disks and it freezes in subsequent chapters as well. I tried it on my Sony and my brothers Toshiba and had the exact same problem. Neither of us has ever had a problem with our DVD players before on any disk rented or new. Anyone else run into this issue?

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I just watched it this weekend and didn't have any problems playing it. I did notice the same spot where a frame or two must have been missing in the source material. There was also a very brief time in chapter 20, I think, when it sounds like there is no audio for a split second.

7. John Kwong

John Kwong Stunt Coordinator

Same with me. Around chapter 10, I think between 41:00 - 46:00. It just freezes and then the disc stops. Actually, I was just about to send an email to CC to find out if it was just me but then saw this thread.

8. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Aww crap! I just bought this Disc and have not had a chance to view it yet! I'll check it out tonight. I'll be pissed if it is messed up. Thanks for the heads up.

Marc

9. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    I did not notice any playback problems on my Panasonic rv80

10. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

I got this from DeepDiscountDVD when it first came out and had the same problem on my Toshiba 3750.

When I called Customer Service, the CSR told me that there had been a "bad pressing" and that they had received a number of complaints. She sent me a return label and shipped me a replacement. Works fine now.

11. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

Thanks Kenneth. I don't mind waiting, I just can't wait to see how it ends.