What's new

Anyone having a LOTR:EE trilogy party? (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Friends and I have been talking about watching the entire 12(+?) hours in one day since FOTR:EE came out and we all got together and watched. Lots of junk food, couple beers, you know. Then we did it again with TTT. Now, we have set a January date for the big all-day trilogy fest-a-thon and I'm wondering what we can do to make it more fun/tolerable.

I've never sat down to watch anything for 12 hours straight, and I want to be sure my guests enjoy themselves. What are other people doing? I was thinking of serving food in the spirit of middle earth, but don't even know if we should be taking breaks for actual meals or just snacking. It'll be tempting to eat the crispy bacon when the hobbits do, and down some pints when they get to Bree, but I make that about 9am in real time. Not that I have a problem with that. But its a long day...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
We chose not to do a marathon but instead to watch one EE a weekend, with RotK this Saturday. Interest in the first two was low, but we're getting a big turnout for this last one.

When I hosted for the FotR I had trivia and prizes during the intermission.

And coffee, lots and lots of coffee :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Most likely, yes.

I have two friends that want to do this. They said they'll provide all the food and drink for the day.

Won't happen for a couple months though as I've got other movie nights planned and can't fit it in. Plus, I'm still in the theater remodel process, new seating and the like so it will be awhile, but it will most likely happen.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I think I'll need to remodel my theater setup with something that'll support a 12-hour viewing...

...like catheters.... :D

Seriously... I'm thinking about it. Probably not before/during the holidays though. :) At that point I'll have a few friends over... just as I did for the Star Wars Trilogy. :D I've just gotta figure out what drinks to serve. No blue-milk in middle-earth. :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Isn't that like only 45 minutes in? Great, a bunch of burned out Mijet fans all conked out for the other 11hrs. on my 10% ABV ale. And what's with all the snacks with LOTR fans? I'm not joking. All they do is raid my food, leave crumbs and raisins smashed into my wood floors. Raisins? I don't even buy raisins. They mouth breath and eat popcorn loud too. These people eat weirder food combinations than I use to eat back in the old pen and paper D & D days. As a matter of fact, I'm making some calls tonight and cutting off all ties with all my Mijet friends. They just take, take, take...So, I think I'll pass on hosting a marathon.

The dvd though, sounds and looks incredible.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Sounds interesting.
If you are so inclined, you could have the equivalent of breakfast, second breakfast, supper, dinner, elevensies?, etc. incorporating the recipes from theonering.net reproduced here: (They also have a recipe for Bag End Seed Cake)
GRIDDLED LEMBAS
Serves 16
3 eggs
1 c. honey (preferably wild)
1 T. grated orange peel, or grated peel and juice of three kumquats.
2 t. orange flower water (optional)
3 oz. toasted almonds
2 ¼ c. semolina flour (see Note)
½ t. salt
½ t. cinnamon
¼ c. butter

Note: You may substitute 1 ½ c. white flour, ½ c. whole-wheat flour and ¼ c. finely ground cornmeal for the semolina flour.

Place eggs, honey, orange peel or other fruit, orange flower water and almonds in blender. Blend on high for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining flour, salt and cinnamon. Whisk or stir until well blended. Melt butter on a pizzelle or krumkake iron or a griddle. Drop batter by ¼- to ¤-cup [sorry, I don't know what this is, perhaps you'll have better luck searching theonering.net than I did] batches on hot surface and cook till lightly brown; turn and lightly brown. If using a waffle iron, add a teaspoon of baking powder to batter.

Nutritional analysis per serving: 218 calories, 7 grams fat, 36 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams protein, 43 milligrams cholesterol, 108 milligrams sodium, 27 percent of calories from fat.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
My GF and I watched FOTR:EE, TTT: EE and ROTK: TE back to back to back the weekend after ROTK came out in May. That was a LONG day.

This time I think we're going to watch one EE a night (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), and then we're going to re-watch most of the extras for the first two EE sets before we move on to the ROTK: EE special features. With some luck we'll be able to do this while the year is still 2004...

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Fritos and Dr Pepper ;)

My friends and I are going to try to do this in three nights, maybe over a long weekend. Good call on the middle earth food. I was thinking along the same lines myself but was too lazy to go look for recipes at one of the fansites. Thanks Andrew!

When Star Wars came out I did a marathon for the kids in my youth group. Even though it was a sleepover, we never made it to the end of the fifth movie. :b

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, good call on the catheters! I wonder if I have enough remotes to equip each guest, with the instructions that they may pause at any time for any reason, as long as its a bathroom break or to get more beers.

And of course there are recipes for middle earth type food! Why would I ever have assumed I'd have to improvise!? Thanks for the link Andrew - I will investigate.

I have a feeling that after some sausages, bacon, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, ale and fruit - we may not have the stomach for lembas bread.

And I have to remember the coffee and soda. I'm toying with setting up a little cafeteria area in the home theater - hot plate, coffee machine, microwave for popcorn, etc. College refrigerator for six packs of bee... soda.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thank you, Eric. :)

I hope those recipes turn out well Timon and Dave. I'm curious about how they taste too.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I'm having our LOTR EE Trilogy this Friday (Dec. 24th). I used DVD Shrink to rip all three EE's and removed the end credits from FOTR and TTT. Merged them all back together for a 12+ hour non-stop marathon. Of course, this all runs off a 60 Gb harddisk. Planning on serving buffalo wings and pizza to get us through the whole day. Pee breaks are optional.

- Colton

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Tony, JamesED.

Wheres the Cheetos reference from?

A buddy of mine and I are doing TTT and ROTK in the next week or so. We did FOTR a couple weeks ago.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm doing mine on New Year's Eve - beats being out in Houston with all the drunks. Of course, we'll start between Noon & 1, so as to finish before midnight.

I'll just let the credits (incl. fan club credits) play at the end of FotR & TTT. That should be plenty of time for bathroom visits, food & drink replenishment, and cleanup, all accompanied by Howard Shore's music!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'll probably do it like a miniseries, watch a 2-hour segment each night for six nights straight until it's all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks