anyone have zoisia grass?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm plugging my lawn with it shortly. I understand it's slow growing, but hardy.
    anyone have some? how do you like it?

2. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Zoisia (SP) grass is common in the midwest. As you said, it is slow growing, and will take about three years to fill in completely. you will, in the end be rewarded with a fine lawn. One word of caution, it is susceptible to mold and related disease when mature, so water early in the day and allow it to dry between waterings, avery other day will be enough.
    Bill

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

any idea how it reacts to dog pee [​IMG]
    I've heard it's a little better off than kentucky bluegrass, but not much

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    We have Zoisia grass... It NEVER dies!! You can't kill it, it'll survive a nuclear holocost. Having said that, it will remain brown far longer in the spring than your neighbors and dog pee will turn spots brown though.

However, we never water our lawn and it lives on. You can simply spread it by taking the roots and moving it to whatever spot you like.

It also isn't a very "soft" grass.. Sometimes walking barefoot on it, tickles the feet.

Jay

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my kentucky bluegrass is almost gone, it's down to bare dirt in some spots where the dog goes, and one of my coworkers plugged zoysia for the same reason, so I'm hoping he's right and it'll come back after getting burned by dog pee. Wish me luck.

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Zoisia? No man, ain't heard of that...

But I've got a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

[​IMG]

(Just couldn't resist... [​IMG] )

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

It's pronounced Zorsha if that helps.

8. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Jay,
    What you describe sounds more like bermuda grass. Zoisia can be overrun by bermuda grass and you might not even notice, except for the fact that it goes dormant quickly in the fall and takes forever to green up in the spring.

Bill

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

bill, so does zoysia according to my reading.