Anyone have/upgraded to the new DishPlayer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, May 8, 2001.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I love my DP and I was thinking about getting the Pro 501?, but it appears to be a very different beast.
    Another member posted a nice reveiw, but admitted things like the 2-week program guide did not work yet. Are things working now?

2. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

It does not look like the latest software download added much in the way of features.
    Echostar tends to take their time of software upgrades (years late - see DishPlayer and manual recordings and their promised OpenTV upgrades to the 4700 boxes).
    So still 10 timer events and regular Dish 44hr guide.

3. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

First off, the DishPVR 501 is not a new DishPlayer - the only things in common is that both are Dish Network receivers and both record to hard disk.
    Second, it's a one week EPG, not a two week EPG, and it is scheduled for June.
    And, they have been working on code to increase the number of timers to - if all goes well - 50, and that may happen in an upgrade in between now and the EPG upgrade.
    The recent upgrade was to fix all of the bugs that involved recording to the hard disk (there are still a few minor bugs such as a number in a display being incorrect).
    By the way, the delay in adding features to the DishPlayer, such as manual timers, is due to the fact that each software change involved coordinating two companies - EchoStar and WebTV - so everything takes more than twice as long to accomplish.
    This is one of the reasons that EchoStar decided to make their own PVR, because they became frustrated with that situation. The recent bug fix upgrade was sent out only a month after the product was released, a turnaround time not possible in a joint collaboration product like DishPlayer.
    And, the delay in upgrading the 4700 to OpenTV is due to the fact that there is still only one OpenTV application (Instant Weather) - which I think is only there at the moment to test OpenTV (you can get more weather info on the Internet in 10 seconds). So, I think that they feel that there is no point in doing the upgrade until there is something to do on OpenTV (which will mostly consist of impulse purchasing, by the way).

4. kevin oswald

kevin oswald Agent

I love my dishplayer.. wish they would update the games more often though.. I have the original 7100.. but I put a 40 gig HD in it..

5. Barry H

Barry H Auditioning

Does anyone have informaation on upgrading an existing installation to the DishPVR 501? I've seen an offer for new installs, but what is the cost of adding the box to an existing account? Is there a monthly cost for program guide content?