What's new

Anyone have Toejam and Earl 3? (1 Viewer)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I've been working my way through Castlevania and Mario. :)
Small world.
Then I need to focus on finishing Advance Wars and a few other slightly older titles. :)
Glen

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Alright this is a Toe Jam and Earl thread so lets get the TJ&E discussion going:).
I spent 2 hours with the game so far. I'm going to keep this short because Im going to have a full on impressions post coming tommorrow (sorry guys, gotta watch the Sopranos).
Put simply this is Toe Jam and Earl 1 updated my friends. More presents, very nice and sharp 3d graphics Toejam and Earl funking it up. The humor hits its mark with me though I can definitely see where it may fly over some peoples heads. One example of the humore for you:
As Toejam I had to "convert" a human cheerleader to the funk. After doing so you can talk to her by pressing the black button and she will give up some cash or as Toe affectionately calls it the bling bling!:D.
When i talked to her Toejam simply says "Damn girl let me play wich yo pom poms!". Even better when you convert a human child and talk to her Toe will say "Sup little sista!" and the child will reply with "My mommy told me you were my daddy and you owe us money!"
Suffice it to say this elicited more than a giggle or two. The best thing i ran across was AHNULD who is literally a big muscle bound dolt that you talk to check for Xbox Live content. As I walked over to him he looks at me and proceeds with the following: in his best AHNULD voice
"Can you deal with deez muscles? Are you able to handle it? Maybe you need to download Xbox Live content but no I dont think you will because you are nothing but a puny little red thing"
I just about spit out my Soda:D.
Full impressions coming soon.....

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Romier,

Looking forward to your full review. I was a big fan of Toejam and Earl on the Genesis and I want to pick this game up badly. However, I am going to have to wait until it hits the price reduction since I don't have the time or money in my gaming budget for it. Your review is the deciding factor for me, not the game site reviews that don't understand the "funk".

BTW, I was snickering from just reading those humorous moments.

-Dean-

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the "1st Impressions" Romier... As usual, it would appear that some reviewers missed the point with this title. I was planning to pick it up this weekend anyway, Now I'll probably go get it today :)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
So....many.....conflicting....impressions.
I think the review at Gamespy is definately worth checking out. They scored it a 6.8 and were definately more objective than Gamespot. The Gamespy review will give you some idea as to whether or not you will like it as opposed to whether or not the reviewer liked it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I think the review at Gamespy is definately worth checking out. They scored it a 6.8 and were definately more objective than Gamespot.
The Gamespy review is actually very good James, I agree. Its well written and they were very objective with what they wrote. If that would have been the first review I read about the game I still would have still bought it because the review actually relayed the proper information I wanted to know about the game. This is definitely going to be one of those love/hate type games and its a game that fans of the original and its sequel will "get" and like more than a person who is just being introduced to the series. This one isn't for everybody.

As I noted above the humor clicked with me. It may not for others who may not find any of the antics funn and thats understandable.

I usually try not to comment on reviews in general because I take each review as an opinion of one person and mines may differ which is why I always play the game in question for myself. I will say this however after playing the game. The Gamespot review is just poorly written plain and simple. The reviewer doesn't bother to get to the core of the gameplay and spends a majority of his written word complaing about the games "funk" and "personality". I can stomach a bad score even if I totally disagree with it, but I can't stand a poorly written review that doesn't even try to inform its reader of the pluses and minuses of said game.

MattSG

Agent
I got the game yesterday, played about 3 hours and beat 23% of it, just to give you an idea on the size. I chose to play as Earl (this goes back to the original) and hes got some silly comments, "You got some large pom poms there" and stuff like that. The music is a mix of the music from the original game and some new stuff. The game play is similiar to the original, 2nd person view. Graphics are clear and enjoyable. Many characters from the original are present (boogeymen, carrot man), but dont have as silly as a voice as before. The intro movie was the only part that I didnt like. Its way too long and was kind of lame. The game is filled with lots of side quests/mini games, most are fun, some are boring or rather difficult to get gold on. Ive yet to try 2 player, and Id imagine that it will be mor fun then just doing the same solo. The game is pretty fun, not great, but I guess the originals werent either. If you have mixed opinions, Id suggest renting it first.
Oh yeah, Icarus wings are lots of fun :)
Just my impressions of the game.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing you never played the original then.
You gotta play multiplayer! That's the best part!
At least you can save, that was the worst part of the original, the fact that you had to sit there and play for about 8 hours to win :)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for posting your thoughts guys. Romier, some of those quotes had me laughing already. I should have my copy of the game tomorrow. Reading the various reviews, it sounds like a lot of people complaining more about the 'funk' than the gameplay.
You said it plays like the 1st, so that's a :emoji_thumbsup: . And hey, I said this before, but the last injection of funk I had was the CD "The Funky 16 Corners" (a few months back) so I'm about due for another one.
Oh, and Jeff I agree, multiplayer is what this game was made for.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

i got it, i thought it was pretty easy. good game though. the only thing i didnt like is that there is no jam out section in the game like in the original

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
who says there isn't a Jam out section? The game screams to me that it has hidden fun all over the place, plus the XB Live content

A

Andrew_A_Paul

yeah if you have an xbox live subscription. and what i meant was about the jam out is that there isnt one like in the original. that was the coolest.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game, enjoying it quite a bit although I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed overall. I guess my expectations were a bit high. The 3D is awkward when using the spring shoes and the icarus wings making it difficult to get on top of the buildings or get the presents on the balloons. The original on the Genesis was pretty much a perfect game, it would have been nearly impossible to make it better, but overall I'm very happy with the game.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I've played a few levels of the game so far, and I love it. The 'funk' atmosphere is funny and fits the feel of the first. The only content I find questionable is the gospel singers in between the levels. But I look forward to playing this all the way through and downloading stuff from XBOX Live.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

What's a subscription to xbox live cost? What all can you do with it? Because right now I only have Halo and TJ&E III.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

Xbox LIVE will be available on Nov 15th for $50. This will get you 1 year of service, plus some free games and a Xbox communicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks