Anyone have this problem with the Sony DVP7700 Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pat Viau, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Pat Viau

Pat Viau Auditioning

Hello,

Here my problem, if my DVD player is turn off for the day, when I turn it on , at the evening, I put a DVD in. It say "NO DISK" but if I leave the player on for 1-2 hour, when I put the DVD back in, it's work ! How can it be ?

Another problem, I have difficulty to read DVD-R media, anyone know which media is the best ???

Another question, If I change my DVD Player, I think I will go with a Sony DVPNS-725P... it's a good choice? This player can read anything, I Think.....with no problem!

Thank

Pat

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You could try going into the service menu and readjust the lasers. To do the realignment of the laser follow this...

With the machine turned off on standby, press the following 3 buttons on the handset, in order: TITLE CLEAR POWER. The menu will come up on the TV. Select the appropriate button number for "auto adjust". The machine basically does it all. It asks you to select either a single layer or double layer disc (whatever your offending disc is.) Ejects the tray, asks you to put your disc in and then calibrates it. (It's over in about half a second... It then asks you to press a few more buttons, and then it's all over.

If you do "upgrade" the 725 isn't a good choice if you want a good progressive scan player. Read this review of the current crop of progressive scan players to get a feel for whats decent now. Basically though buy a panasonic or Denon with the current crop of Denon's being better then the current Panasonics unless you can find an XP30 or XP50 around somewhere (doubtfull)

If you don't need progressive scan though the Sony 7700 is still one of the best interlaced players available and it makes a fantastic CD player. I sold my 7700 to buy the Denon 1600 player which is very nice for video but the audio (CD's) sounded better from the Sony so I might buy another used one for CD's later.

3. Pat Viau

Pat Viau Auditioning

Thank for the help...but bad news I think

I try to caliber with Double Layer and Single Layer and I got these error

With The Sopranos Disk I got
    Error occured on "Ajusting Focus Offset"

With Roy Orbison Black & White Night I got
    Error Occured on "CLV Lock Check"

With a DVD-R
    Error occured on "CLV Lock Check"

So I quit the MENU and try to run Soprano, and it says PLEASE INSERT DISC, wow....maybe I will wait 2 hour for the unit to be HOT and re-try sometime it work.

So what do you think my problem is ??? Any EXPERT here !!

Second, I'm a bit newbie in DVD Player , so I was think to buy the Sony DVPNS-725P... but I read the review you post and it's a bit difficult to understand...I'm not a progressive Scan addict, I mean my purpose for DVD Player is

I watch 5.1/DTS movie , I listen sometime CD, I want a MP3 encoded system (my 7700 don't have that) and I want to read DVD-R/DVD+R/RW etc...so you think I should but the 725p (I like Sony because all my unit is SONY) or I should go with another brand ?

Thank

Pat

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew provided you some expert advice, Pat. Go through the procedure again, exactly as Andrew outlined. Failing that, call Sony's service number and see what they recommend. The 7700, to this day, is still a fine machine.