Anyone have the Sony DVP-CX985V player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joe Tilley, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Just wonted to get some feed back on this player if anyone has it yet. mainly how is the PQ & SACD playback on it? Any major sings of croma error ext?
    I'm not to worried about the mechanical ability as I know the older 300 disk players were known to be somewhat slow & cumbersome to some. I have had two of there mega cd changers with very good luck so far so I'm not to worried about them in that aspect.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Scotty Parish

Joe,

I guess it is still too new for feedback. I am looking at this as well, but so far I can't find it locally. It isn't even on BB or CC websites yet.

I have one of the 400-CD megachangers and was considering another one when I found this. I think I will apply what I was going to pay for another one toward the CX985.

Let us know if you get any info.

Thanks

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

4. Nick Zender

Nick Zender Auditioning

Posted this on another forum if it helps any.

I just got mine on Sunday and was only able to play with it a little bit.
    I got quite a bit of info and reviews through here doing a search...might have to try various search terms like multi disk, multidisk, Sony progressive, Sony SACD etc....
    I read tons of info and it seems that the biggest gripe was in the way you edit the disks being cumbersome and complaints about the disk time load.
    The other concern is on the size of the unit which is extremely deep!

My experience is that I had a Panasonic RP56 and was very happy with the picture and unit. I then decided I wanted SACD so I bought a Pioneer 563.
    I was unhappy with the picture quality and just didn't feel comfortable having it just for SACD.
    I went to every electronic store within a 20-30 mile radius of my home and there are many and nobody knew anything about this unit.
    The funny part is I went to three Circuit City stores and nobody had a clue and there was no mention on their website.
    On Sunday I went to one other CC store (LOL the one closest to my house) and stopped back to look at the older model multi disks they had and up on the top shelf with no shelf tag or info of any kind sat a Sony dvp-cx985V.
    I called the sales guy over and he said yeah we have had that for a while...Go figure.
    Anyways they are $379 at CC and according to this sales guy they have 292 at the warehouse.
    I'll check back and post more as I experience it.

I can tell you the I watched the Matrix Reloaded again last night and was pleasantly surprised that the picture quality was better than my Panny and SACD performance was awesome.
    I'm very pleased at this point.
    Nick Zender
    Ape

5. Joe Tilley

Thanks for the responses guys. I just picked one up wed night. I'm not very good at doing reviews, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. Picture quality is noticably better than my 4 year old previous Sony 5 disk. I haven't had a chance to pick up any SACD titles yet but I did play the sampler that was with the unit. I must say even though I HATE Bob Dylan it sounded pretty damn good, at least enough to make me wont something decent to listen too. I will be picking up the Pink Floyd disk in a couple days so I have somethin good to really listen with.
    The down side this player sucks to load. I was hoping it would work like the cd changers do, to where you can put in a disk & enter the name. But no this one you have to load your disk's, close the player, let it read it for a couple seconds, hit the folder button, than enter twice & type the disk name, enter again, & finally hit top menu & move on to your next disk. If your disk has a jacket picture on it it's pretty simple but if not it's just a big pain in the ass. So far I have spent a total of about 4 hours I think to load only about 120 dvd's.
    Anyway other than loading it the player seams to be pretty nice so far. The only last thing I don't like is that the inside light dose not shut off with the display.

6. Scotty Parish

Does the 985 have a provision for just playing a single DVD like a rental or do you have to put it any vacant slot and select that slot?

Thanks

7. Tuan Le

Tuan Le Agent

I broke down and ordered one from http://www.onecall.com today ($349.10 shipped). However, they have it backordered. [​IMG] Well...hopefully it will not take weeks.

-Tuan

8. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

Scotty, no, there's no "+1" drawer, that gives you easy access.

9. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I got this changer for more than a week now but I'm having troubles getting the analog 5.1 to output. Basically, the 5.1 multi-channel out is very low volume compared to the digital out.

Initially when I output the test tone, I got nothing on the sub channel. I was panic and I thought something was wrong with the processor I have. The sub output was way too low. Here's my settings:

Fronts - -4db
    Center - -3db
    Surrounds - -4db
    Sub - +10db

In order to maintain everything the same output, I have to turn down everything else about 4db. Still the sub is just the same level.

The sub is calibrated properly with the processor and it outputs fine with DVD playback via digital connection or any other connections I have to the processor.

I'm just curious to know if anyone is having a similar issue or it's just me.

Thanks,

Simon

10. Joe Tilley

Simon, your going to notice a difference going analog to digital. I have quite a bit of difference in vol with mine as well, it's normal.

11. Simon Ngan

Joe,

Thanks for your information. Buddy of mine is picking up some SACDs on his business trip. Hopefully I will try them out soon.

Thanks,

Simon

12. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Any disc-flipping mechanism on this, or do you have to flip discs by hand?

13. Simon Ngan

Yohan,

No, this one is not a flipper but I've heard problems with earlier models where the flipping machanism would jam the disc quite easily.

Simon