What's new

Anyone have the SMC player from dvdcity.com? (1 Viewer)

I want to build a kungfu collection starting with some PAL DVDs from Hongkong Legends. I have Drunken Master already but no player
frown.gif

The SMC DVD player seem to be an economical way to go for $299. Can anyone comment on the quality of its conversion from PAL to NTSC?

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Same as the Sampo and the Apex.
Not enough scan lines are removed, resulting in a picture that is too tall (people will be tall & skinny). If you have a 16x9 set, then anamorphic mode results in too many scan lines being removed, giving you short, fat people.
Either way, it's a flawed presentation.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So if you can live with that get a Sampo 620 for $150 and save some money.
I still use my Sampo now that I have a PAL/NTSC multi-standard TV, and it works just fine when passing through the PAL or NTSC signal.
Ted

Brian E

Screenwriter
I believe DVDs from Hong Kong are NTSC. And most of them are region 0. All the Hong Kong DVDs I have are NTSC.
You're right. However Hong Kong Legends releases discs in the UK. Those are R2, PAL.
------------------
-Brian
Nothing decent has been done by committee since Stonehenge and the Pyramids. - JMS
yfrank.gif

My DVD List

Thanks for the info, I suspected the image would not be too good.
I have an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon card but the manual states I could only change the region 5 times. I guess the powers that be have their hooks deep in the computer industry too.
Any ideas on a setup that would have decent quality?
I looked at TenLab's converters but they cost a bundle.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...the Hong Kong Legends label is released by a UK company - their discs are indeed (25fps)PAL:
Link Removed
. . .

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you could hack your DVD drive on your computer to play all regions, but you should be advised that this is a VERY touchy proposition. If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily fry your drive. I still haven't summoned the courage to do it (largely because most of those programs seem to want real mode DOS and I have Win ME).
------------------
Chad Parks
Visit Region Free for import DVD and VCD reviews and retail information

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Dave,
It might be that your DVD-Rom drive is regionfree and only your player program limits you to a fixed number of region switches.
Get DVD-Genie, a free, small program that is extremely useful for all software players to get rid of this problem. You can get it at http://www.inmatrix.com .
-Christian

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have the top of the line Tenlab converter and I love it. Love it!! It was expensive, but as I am buying all the HKL PAL releases, it's worth it to me.

Chauncey2

Grip
Matt,
Which Tenlabs converter do you own? I own the TR-11SVHS, and while it works pretty good, it could be a lot better. I get all sorts of digital artifacts. Colors aren't smooth, etc.
Thanks,
------------------
Chauncey
Home Theater Equipment List

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon card but the manual states I could only change the region 5 times. I guess the powers that be have their hooks deep in the computer industry too.
Any ideas on a setup that would have decent quality?
I looked at TenLab's converters but they cost a bundle.
Dave,
If you are happy with the way you computer plays PAL use it for only for PAL (presumably R2), and just get a cheap but good set top DVD player (like the Pioneer 333 for less then $200) for your R1 NTSC disks. It will cost WAY less than buying a converter and you will get better quality.
Ted

Thanks! The easiest and obvious solution escaped me :)
I'll use the computer for PAL discs only. DVD-Genie is intresting also, seems like a good utility to keep.
Any links to fast codefree(no or easy mods) computer DVD drives?

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Chauncey2, I went all the way for the TR-21. It does reduce the resolution down from DVD territory to LD territory and there is some minor artifacting, but it has nearly twice the resolution as yours and I am happy with it.
It cost me a pretty penny, of course. But I'd rather lose some resolution and have correct widescreen geometry than have an Apex that gives screwed up geometry no matter what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks