What's new

Anyone have the Samsung LCD LN52A750? (1 Viewer)

Kenny A

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering getting this tv, my first LCD. However, after reading some of the post here, I am having second thoughts. I currently have a Samsung 50" dlp that is approx. 3 years old. I have not had any issues with it, I'm just moving it to another room in the house and getting a new tv for the main room. I was at BB yesterday and was looking at the LN52A750 and man did it have a great picture. There was also a Samsung HL61A750 DLP about 30 feet away. The DLP had a great picture if you were standing straight in front or just a little to the side. But beyond that the picture really suffered. To me the LCD had a much better viewing angle.
Do any of you have one of the LCD's or DLP's mentioned. If so, how do you like them? The only thing that I don't like about my current tv is the viewing angle.
So what would you do, go for the LCD or DLP? Not taking in consideration the size.
Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
$ per square inch...dlp is a much better buy.
DLPs will require a darker room environment.
DLPs also have a narrower field of view due to its screen gain.

The 2 units you are comparing are very different animals. Both are nice displays.

Regards

Gregg

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald

Hey Kenny,

Ive been at BB selling tv's for just over two years now, and from my experience and IMO I would get the LCD in a heartbeat. I've had so many people come into the store saying their friend, brother, cousin has a new Samsung LCD and they absolutlely love it.
On the other hand, from my experience, I am really not a big fan of DLP's at all. Too many complaints, too expensive to have dealt with. Both reasons why LCD's have the majority of the market right now.

Just my two cents,
Alex M

Kenny A

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went by BB again today and I have decided not to get the dlp for sure. Now I'm undecided between the LCD and Plasma. The salesman was giving pros and cons between the two. One thing he was stating was the contrast ratio. The plasma was 1,000,000 and the LCD was 50,000. Is this correct. Also the LCD that I was looking at was the 120hz. The plasma was a little cheaper than the LCD. The only thing I'm concerned with is the glare from the glass screen. My viewing area is in the middle of my house so windows are not a factor. I mainly use the tv for watching movies, regular programming from my local cable provider and I also have hd dish network for sports and other viewing. I dont use it for gaming. So what would ya'll do. LCD or Plasma. I'm looking at the 52".

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald

That contrast difference is right, plasma's have a substantially higher color than LCD's. If you're thinking of getting a plasma, I'd strongly recommend a Panasonic, if you go back to BB, ask to see the 50PZ80, its the 1080P model. Lots of people swear by the plasma's, and some swear by the LCD so a lot is personal opinion. I've always been very satisfied with LCD's, and even though they are a little more expensive, most of the time you'll get a little more life out of them.

Alex M

Kenny A

Stunt Coordinator
I will go back and look at the Panasonic. I guess I forgot how frustrating choosing a tv can be. You said I would get more life out of the LCD. I really don't watch tv that much compared to a lot of people. During the week I might watch 2-3 hrs a day and on the weekends maybe 4-5 hrs a day. I will probably trade tv's every 5-6 years.
Alex you're suggesting that if I go plasma get the Panny. What about LCD's.
Also what do you all think about the extended warranties. Are they worth the extra money.

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald

For LCD's, you have a lot of options haha. I think if you spend a couple more bucks on the Samsung 52A650, that will more than satisfy your needs. On the other hand, Im very much a closet Sharp Aquos fan and always have been.. They make great TV's, and have a great track record at my BB, for reliability. So just to give you another options I would, (if they still have it in stock) the 52D82U model, 1080P, 120Hz, and the price seems to vary from store to store but the Sharp will save you a ton of cash.
As for the "extented warranties", I have to say absolutely. Every time someone comes in with a TV, plasma or LCD, and needs to have it dealt with, in regards to their extented warranty (the service plan).. They leave with a brand new TV, always a few rungs higher on the scale in terms of quality as well. If you do buy it from BB, if you decide to get it, tell the salesperson that you want your TV and the service plan and ask them for a hundred bucks off.. because I know they can :D

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks