What's new

Anyone Have the Samsung DVD-P721M ?? (1 Viewer)

RockyZ

Auditioning
Wondering if anyone has the Samsung DVD-P721M, since I was thinking of getting it. Does anyone know if it suffers from the chroma bug? It doesn't say 3:2 pull down but is that really needed? Should I looking at another model or brand for progressive scan? Looking to spend $200-$350 or around there, higher if needed. Any help is appreciated!

Rocky

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
This player's progressive is very good for movies. The picture will be noticably softer than something like Panasonic RP56 for video (such as TV on DVD). It doesn't have flickering bugs that many players have on certain problem DVDs. The current firmware version does have a minor version of the chroma bug - it shows up only in material that uses 2:2 pulldown rather than 3:2 pulldown.

(Film is 24fps and is put on DVD using 3:2 pulldown. 2:2 pulldown is used for 30fps computer animation, which shows up in some DVD menus).

Generally I would say it is a pretty good player for that price. But I would shell out the $$$ for a player with a Sage deinterlacer (e.g. RP56) if I watched a lot of TV shows on DVDs using progressive scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks