Anyone have the Queensryche *Empire* DVD-Audio disc? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 3, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The Queensryche Empire DVD-Audio disc is the first title on the format to get my attention in quite awhile. Has anyone picked it up? How is the DVD-Audio track? In particular, how does the stereo DVD-Audio track compare to the CD? For the record, I seem to recall that Empire was released as a DCC gold, but I just have the regular CD. Also, I assume the stereo DVD-Audio track was authored in 24/96. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

One more question. Has anyone tried to play the Empire DVD-Audio disc without using a TV? If so, can the disc be navigated without a TV? Thanks in advance.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith, the disc is great. If you like the album, there's no reason not to get it.

I just popped it in to see if I could play it w/o the TV, because I'm such a nice fella, and yes- when you put the disc in and hit play, it will give you the surround DVD-A track.

Another neat thing about it is that the lyrics scroll with the song, that is, you don't have to press anything. Interviews and music videos for Another Rainy Night and Silent Lucidity are there, too.

The mix is not aggressive, which IMO is good. I don't feel that hard rock benefits much from particularly aggressive mixes.

I never thought the sound quality of the CD was so great to begin with, so the stereo on this one is a vast improvement. But this is one disc where I will always be listening to the MC mix.

NP: Miles Davis, The Man With the Horn

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, thanks for the information and for being a "nice fella". [​IMG] I should have been more specific with regards to playing the disc without a TV. I would expect the disc to default to the multi-channel DVD-Audio track, however, if you don't have the TV on, can you switch between the stereo and multi-channel tracks? I can do that without the TV when playing Warner DVD-Audio discs by using the "Group" button on my remote. However, some discs from other labels are not authored to allow this.

5. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

6. Peter Luna

Peter Luna Auditioning

Keith, I am able to switch to the 96/24 stereo tracks by using the group button on my remote.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil,

Thanks for the link. I remember that thread and actually participated in it. I just don't recall reading reviews. Thanks again.

Peter,

Thanks for the info. That is great news.