Anyone have the new JVC 8040?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill Will, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Looking for your thoughts on it. Bought my daughter the old 9010 a few years back & she's always been happy with it, though I've never heard it & now a friend wants the 8040 which S&V Mag. seem to give a pretty good review on. No I can't really talk him out of JVC because he wants to use the compulink feature & he won't move up to JVC's higher line because they don't have PLIIx plus he doesn't want to spend that much money. Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Bill, is the review in the latest edition of S&V? Thanks! [​IMG]

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Wayne,
    Yes. The review was OK but like all 3 of those receivers, they produced lackluster power ratings which would be the big downside. I guess if he HAS to have the compulink feature, he really has no choice other than JVC. Then again I find the compulink as gimicky as Sony's version. The review seemed to favor the Yamaha and based on features I would too.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Wayne, I don't get S&V anymore but I found the S&V 8040 test along with the Sony DE897 & Yamaha RX-V750 at www.ecoustics.com where you can down load it. Shane, yes the Yamaha is a better receiver but I don't think you can find them for under $300 like the 8040 plus I think he's also hooked on the JVC RF Remote which is a really nice feature.

5. Wayne Ernst

Bill, Shane,

I made it out to pick up the new issue of S&V. I didn't find the test results too bad. The older RX-8000VBK from JVC only produced 68 watts with 5 channels being driven. I've owned that receiver - and it performed quite well.

Overall, I wasn't too disapointed with the results of all 3 receivers tested. I was actually surprised by the power outputs of the Sony "DE" receiver which has gotten a bit of bad press in previous reviews and by users who were not too happy with the results.

Finally, Bill, I have a 5-month-old Yamaha HTR-5760 which is just a step below the reviewed RX-V750 that I'm going to list in a few days. I purchased a 3-year warranty along with the receiver - so, it is covered by Mack, if not by Yamaha. I'll be looking to get $300 + shipping when I post it. Figure on approx. $18.00 for ground shipping via FedEx Ground.

I almost hate to give up my Yammy. However, my 6-month shelf time for any given receiver is fast approaching and I'm going to drop some extra cash into a Pioneer Elite 54TX.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Wayne, you might also want to check out the new Pioneer VSX-1014 that's what I'm waiting to get my hands on when I can come up with some money & the time to play with it [​IMG]

7. Wayne Ernst

Bill,

I hear ya. However, there is not turning back at this point as my 54TX will be arriving this coming Tuesday. [​IMG]

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Wayne, "Great Receiver" & you should have a lot of fun playing around with it & after you do post your results on it. [​IMG]