Anyone have the new *E1vis* CD? Comments on sound quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 29, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Has anyone picked up the new E1vis CD? How does it sound? I have no Elvis CDs, so I have nothing to compare E1vis too, but if anyone has other Elvis compilations, I'd be curious to hear how the new one compares soundwise. Thanks in advance.

2. Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen Stunt Coordinator

To me it sounds very good, "Burning Love" sounds better than ever but unfortunately they have made a few mistakes. An alternate version of "A Fool Such As I" is used, so is a different version of "The Wonder of You". This probably won't bother casual listeners, but fans will notice this right away.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Members of the forums over at Steve Hoffman's website seem to like it, which is saying alot. Hoffman produced two Elvis CDs which go for big $$ on eBay. The early consensus is that the mixes are different but good.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks for the comments.
    Claus,
    I am not a hardcore Elvis fan, so I probably will noticed the differences you described. I appreciate the insight, however.
    Greg,
    I know that the Elvis DCC gold CDs go for a lot of money, and as a casual fan, I am not going to pick them up. The E1vis disc is more my speed. [​IMG]
    Thanks for referring me to Hoffman's forum. I haven't visited that site in a few weeks.

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

With as much music as you listen to, me thinks you would enjoy the forums over there. [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, as I said, I haven't checked the Hoffman forum in a few weeks, but I had been checking it more frequently. It is an amazing resource for information on music. Unfortunately, there isn't much traffic there on hardware.

7. David Albrecht

David Albrecht Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I've read only good things about the remastering on this CD. By the way, the best price I've seen on this was at Wall-Mart, and it includes a bonus interview Cd.
    heres a track by track reveiw...
    http://www.elvis.com.au/reviews/revi...1s_3_piers.htm
    and if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can read an interview with David Bendeth...
    "Remastering for ELV1S 30 #1 Hits Will Astound You"
    http://www.elvis.com.au/news/article...id_bendeth.htm
    That 'Elvis Information Network' is one of the better Elvis sites I've found on the web. If you've got some free time, lots of interesting stuff on there.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, thanks for all the information. I might have to make a trip to Wal-Mart.

9. David Albrecht

David Albrecht Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I picked this up today from Wall-Mart. They still have the same price as last week... $9.84
    The bonus interview Cd is labeled as "The Post Army Interview" and clocks in at 12:41. Probably not essential, but a nice bonus just the same.
    The Sound! This sounds way better than any previous release. Like the EIN review said, these tracks have really been cleaned up. To my ears, the guitars and background vocals are more prominant in the mix now. The one track that really surprised me was "In the Ghetto". A very spacious sound unlike any previous mix I've heard.
    If I was to nit-pick though, this would be a much stronger album had they left off a few of the 'movie' songs and included more worthy tracks (or even picked beter 'movie' era titles... Viva Las Vegas, Roustabout, King of the Whole Wide World). A song like Wooden Heart is really an odd choice to include on this album.
    Overall, I'm happy I picked this up, good stuff! [​IMG] Hopefully BMG has plans to do another project like this soon.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, thanks again. For $9.84 with the bonus interview, I'll have to check it out. The cheapest I have seen it otherwise is $12.99. I'll have to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow. [​IMG]
    NP: Peter Gabriel Remasters * Sampler (promo CD)

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I picked it up last week at Circuit City, like yourself, I'm no huge Elvis fan, but I think these songs probably sound as good as they can possibly sound on redbook CD considering their age. Outstanding imho with DPL2 music mode engaged on my Denon 1802 and grerat in straight two-channel as well.

Reg

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, thanks for the comments. I might be able to add some of my own in the next few days. [​IMG]

13. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I started listening to Rock and Roll in the late fifties, but for some reason never really got into to Elvis. I don't own any of his stuff either. This might just be the one to get.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, although I wasn't around in the '50s ([​IMG]), I am in the same boat as you. I'll probably buy E1vis and call it a day. [​IMG]

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I would assume that it sounds great. A buddy of mine did the mix on a few of those tracks and he does really good work. Assuming all the tracks were done with similar personnel, it has to sound good as far as I'm concerned. I'm planning on picking up the vinyl release.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Well, I finally picked up a copy of ELV1S 30 #1 HITS. It's great! As I said, I am no huge Elvis fan, so what I was looking for was a comprehensive disc with good sound quality that would serve as my Elvis collection. [​IMG] I had no interest in spending big bucks for an out-of-print Elvis DCC Gold CD, though I have no doubt that it would sound great. With ELV1S, I see no reason to. This disc is excellent! I bought the Wal-Mart version with the interview disc for just $9.84. Very cool. Thus far, I have listened through the music disc, and I am very pleased with the sound of every track. Now, I have no other Elvis CDs for comparison, but good sound is good sound. Elvis' voice sounds incredibly clear, without being harsh. I haven't listened to the interview disc yet, but I hope to get to it tonight. In any event, I think I have found my Elvis collection. [​IMG]
    By the way, I could do without the "JXL Radio Edit Remix" of "A Little Less Conversation". Why couldn't they just release the original version? Oh well. Nothing is perfect. [​IMG]

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

O.K., there is one problem. ELV1S 30 #1 HITS does not have "Blue Suede Shoes". [​IMG] I guess it was not a #1 hit. Oh well. Maybe I'll get something like Elvis' Golden Records. So much for one Elvis CD. [​IMG]

18. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Keith,
    I was also disappointed that Blue Suede Shoes as well as Viva Las Vegas were not included on this disc. Maybe they were both not number one hits or maybe rights issues of some sort?
    The disc sounds good to me, though I don't have a point of reference becuase this is the first Elvis CD I have purchased. Some of the tracks were a bit thin, but that is probably more of an issue of the original masters then anything else. A great introduction to the work of the king [​IMG]
    J

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, I would be curious to hear thought on the sound quality of ELV1S relative to the Elvis DCC Gold CDs, as I am guessing that audiophiles have considered the DCC issues the best-sounding Elvis CDs. Perhaps this has been discussed on Steve Hoffman's web site. I will check.