Anyone have the Guns n Roses Use Your Illusion Tokyo DVDs?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Erik_C, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

How's the band's performance? How's the DVD look and sound? For $25 for both, it's not a big loss if I buy them and they suck, but I'm curious if anyone's seen them yet?
    -Erik

2. George See

George See Second Unit

I don't have them, but if I were to judge a book by it's cover i'd say they suck...When I first saw them if I wasn't in Best Buy I would have thought they were bootlegs the packaging just looks uber cheap. But as you can't judge a book by it's cover i'd be curious to hear from someone who has these.

3. Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek Stunt Coordinator

i borrowed disc 1 from my sister and watched it. technically the video and audio quality seemed fine to me, no glaring problems. but as for the bands actual performance it was typical for everytime i saw them play in concert, sloppy and not very good. Axl running around all the time making him too worn out to sing, his voice fading but nowhere as bad as the VMAs, but musically the band sounded OK. also Axl in his skimpy shorts was quite disturbing.

i love GNR on CD but they have to be one of the worst live bands ever, which has always been puzzling to me, and the DVD does nothing to make me think differently. buy at your own risk.

4. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Hey, it's me, the guy who started this thread. I bought the 2 DVDs. Overall, they're ok. It's basically a Japanese TV feed burned to DVD. DD 2.0. Sound is muddy. Bass is weak, treble is muffled (except the cymbals, which are too loud and tizzy). Maybe I'm just spoiled by the recent Zeppelin DVDs. Anyway, the band's performance is uninspired. I never saw them in concert, but after these DVDs, I'd hazard a guess that they're a better band in the studio than live, at least if the performances on these DVDs are representative of their live performances. Still, for$26 from Amazon, I don't regret the buy.
    -Erik