Anyone have the German release of Atlantis (Luc Besson)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Buchsbaum, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Adam Buchsbaum

Not the Disney version, but the 1991 film Luc Besson directed. I just recently ordered it off of Amazon's German website. It's supposed to be 2.35:1 anamorphic with DTS sound!

I was very excited to find out that the DVD was only $13 (I used a currency calculator). What I wasn't too excited about was the shipping price to the US -- it cost a couple of bucks more than the DVD itself!

Regardless, can anyone tell me about the quality of this release?

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Hi Adam,
    Not sure whether you can read German or not, but the Review over at Area DVD seems quite favorable. In fact, I want this one at some point, too (but didn't see it when I was in Germany over the holidays [​IMG]).
    Hope this helps,
    -Christian

3. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Hi, I have this DVD. The quality is as I remember quite good. not reference, but also no big problems. It is anamorphic and has DTS sound. If you have more specific questions mail me at [email protected] Then I could check it out over the weekend.
    Hartwig
    P.S. If you are sometime in Germany, the cheapest places normally are "Weltbild" and "Saturn".

4. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I’ve got the disc and it looks and sounds OK on my system (although I only have a 28” widescreen TV, so any edge enhancement etc would not be too obvious).

There is some (unsubtitled German) narration at the beginning of the movie that I don’t recall being on the UK VHS release, but this occurs before the undersea footage and music starts so it is not obtrusive. The onscreen titles and credits are in English.

I did have a small problem with the DTS soundtrack on my Pioneer player with a few drop-outs in the first chapter. However, after some experimenting, I found that this can be solved by the following routine:

1. Select DTS from the menu

2. Start the film

3. Once the movie is playing, use the remote’s “audio” button to switch to Dolby Digital

4. Once it's playing in DD, use the remote’s “audio” button again to switch back to DTS

5. Chapter skip back to the start of the movie.

The problem occurs when I play both my own copy of the disc and a friend’s copy. However, his Pioneer player (a later model) plays both copies perfectly, so hopefully you won’t need the fix.