What's new

Anyone have the Deluxe Edition of Coltrane *A Love Supreme* (two-disc set)? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for comments on the new Deluxe Edition of John Coltrane A Love Supreme. I am very interested in this set since it has extra tracks that are not on the standard CD and will not be included on the forthcoming SACD. How are the extra tracks? Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the standard tracks as compared to the regular CD? Given the relatively high price of these Universal Deluxe Edition releases (typically $30), I'd rather not buy A Love Supreme blindly. Thanks in advance.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
First of all, don't pay $30 for it. I got it for less than $25.

I didn't do a comparison between the new disc and the original release. I haven't listened to it in so long. It's one of those albums that I know completely by heart by now, so I almost never listen to it, like Kind of Blue, Led Zeppelin IV, or Moving Pictures. But is sounds fine to me.

The second disc is worth the purchase. The deluxe editions of the other albums are for completists, but this one has some great stuff. Most importantly, the only recorded live version of A Love Supreme, with more solos from the rhythm section, no chanting, and the French crowd booing when they wouldn't play more. Equally important are the two sextet versions of the first movement (Achie Schepp and Art Davis added).

Since the SACD will not be a hybrid, there is no conflict of interest between purchasing both.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I saw the Deluxe Edition on sale at Tower Records the other day for $23. That's a fair price, I suppose. $30 is out of bounds in my opinion. Anyway, the second disc sounds like a definite winner. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks