Anyone have the complete IMAX collection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidY, Aug 13, 2001.

1. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Just wondering...how many titles are there in the IMAX collection? Is there a complete listing anywhere? I briefly checked the IMAX website http://www.imax.com but it wasn't readily available.
    Thanks.
    Dave

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
  4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

The only one that I'm looking forward to is All Access: Backstage. It was a concert film that still may be in some IMAX theaters across the country. It boasts one of the most incredible sound mixes I've ever heard.
    Also coming out (already announced) is Cirque De Soleil: Journey Of Man. Although many may be Cirque fans, don't be fooled - this mixes acrobatic stunts with a really lame, weak, embarassing story and terrible acting. 38 minutes seemed like an eternity in the theater.
    A disc that's already out that all IMAX fans should see is "Beavers" (the animals.) It's a suprisingly fascinating look at their lives, plus it has a superb 5.1 presentation, with trees falling that sound like they're falling into the listening space. Another scene with several of the animals in their den has their little squeaking sounds coming from all sides.
    Another terrific "animal" IMAX picture is "Dolphins", which also boasts several songs by Sting on the soundtrack.
    My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
    [Edited last by AaronJB on August 13, 2001 at 08:28 AM]
    [Edited last by AaronJB on August 13, 2001 at 08:31 AM]

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I have started a very modest IMAX collection including:
    Alaska: Spirit of the Wild - one of the better ones, expected a bit more
    Antarctica - decent
    Africa: The Serengeti - one of the best to date, very good sound, nice picture quality
    Tropical Rainforest - decent
    Everest - very good, but tragic
    Mysteries of Egypt - I don't remember what it was like
    Mystery of the Maya - same as Egypt
    First Emperor of China - decent
    Super Speedway - awesome sound, tons of bass, great if you like/love racing
    Blue Planet - okay
    Dream is Alive - okay (I fell asleep during one of these space DVDs...not sure which)
    Beavers - soon to arrive
    Whales - on order
    As for the IMAX experiences on DVD...I am not exactly sure how it compares to the IMAX theaters since I have been to only one I think (Expo '86 in Vancouver, but am not exactly sure if it was a true IMAX experience). IMO, watching IMAX DVDs is just like watching documentaries with a bit more excitement/action/plot.
    Dave
    [Edited last by DavidY on August 15, 2001 at 12:05 AM]

6. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Are any of the upcoming IMAX DVDs going to be in 3-D?

7. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    GregK,quote: Are any of the upcoming IMAX DVDs going to be in 3-D?[/quote]My first response impulse to say to that is "not in my life time"! It would require two synchronized proprietary DVD discs to play on a special DVD player that would simultaneously run them together to synchronize and produce two twin video pictures; The glasses required to duplicate the Polaroid assembled 3D picture in an Imax theater already exist.
    Paul
    My Grandfather had relatives that used 3D cameras and the proprietary slides and battery operated viewers in the 1950's that photographed my past relatives (Family Tree) in 3D Glory. It never caught on - I've spent the rest of my life with memories looking for the equivalent just for photographs and so far, only found an imitation consumer single picture that you can make, but will never equal the viewer and camera they had in the 50's.
    I would buy a 3D Imax compatible DVD player in a second!
    Paul
    [Edited last by Paul Hillenbrand on August 14, 2001 at 09:43 PM]

8. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    I don't own a lot of them....two actually. Have rented a couple more.
    I own Whales & Super Speedway. But, there is something about Whales that I can watch it over and over again. The music is awesome and Patrick Stewerts narration is soothing to listen to. This one is a must have if you desire to own any of the IMAX films on DVD. Just put it on in the background while you clean the house or something. It sets a calm mood very well.
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston
    "Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown