Anyone have tested a DIY sonosub against SVS or HSU?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I wonder because I guess I can make at least two very good sonosubs for the cost of only one SVS for example. True, not everybody will have the patience or the interest to build its own subwoofer, this is why SVS or HSU will survive, even when one can make a similar product. But what I really wonder is if there are important difference in sound quality/quantity when one goes the DIY path.

Im thinking in a couple Shivas or Tempest and to drive each one with the 250w amplfier from Adire. I know the drivers, at least on the SVS ultras are better than the ones I want to implement, but will I lose anything important?

Im interested in 50% music and 50% HT, so quality bass is important also...

Thanks!

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

I have no doubt in my mind that a shiva or Tempest could produce sound quality that equals that of an SVS.

4. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

Just one of my Tempest sonotubes outperforms 2 of the SVS 20-39's powered by the Samson I once had. Imagine what my two Tempest sonotubes must sound like! [​IMG]

5. Manuel Delaflor

Jack, I read about it somewhere on the Net, sorry I can't remember the place, but I remember that the SVS Ultra uses a driver similar to the ones on the most expensive subs in the world, like the Aerial Acoustics SW12. This drivers are supposed to cost more than 500 dollars each, and have better specifications (Xmax being the most important if I remember well) than a Shiva.

------------------

Dave, yes, this are my thoughts also. But I want to be sure and knowing first hand experiences is what I need.

------------------

Shawn, thats sounds interesting! which amplifier are you using? have you tried an SPL meter to see the responses? or is so big that you can hear it and feel it without the need to confirm?

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Jack,

Are you saying the Tempest sonosub can outperform an Ultra?

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well a Tempest is supposed to be able to pretty much match or slightly edge a pair of SVS 20-39CS subs and Tom said that an Ultra is equivalent to that pair. So A=B, B=C then A must also equal C [​IMG]

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

I'm REALLY contemplating a 10ft^3 enclosure tuned to around 18Hz (8" port) for the 1803! But the only way I could do it would be to make a coffee table sub. That gives me a whole new set of problems! House is a ranch style, built on a slab so just getting the speaker wire to the sub will be a big PITA! Not to mention I wouldn't get much room gain with it sitting at least 4' from any wall. Of course, with my 4500ft^3 room that's completely open to the rest of the house I may not get ANY room gain!

Brian

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Brian with an 1803 you might not have a room left to worry about room gain[​IMG]

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

13. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Question is: why would anyone want to build more than a Tempest sub? Mine sonosub Tempest is in a room with very high ceiling and open into a hallway and an upstairs gameroom loft, so it "sees" a huge volume space and will play louder than anyone (even my 15 and 19 year old sons) wants to listen. Are you people bassaholics? [​IMG]

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Brian,
    When you look at that alignment in Unibox, there's so much anechoic output with 1000 watts that room gain almost becomes superfluous. Also, there's so much headroom (unless, of course, you plan on using all of it) in the design that you can apply eq to the bottom end if it turns out not to be flat enough in-room without the usual penalties.
    A coffee table design has its own placement compromise built-in, obviously, as it pretty much has to go in one place. Eq would probably be a must, anyway. You've already got the FBD, so you're all set.
    As an aside, I haven't spoken to Pat at Blueprint, but I think the non-recommendation of the 1803 for sealed LT use might have to do with the prodigious power requirements in "reasonable-sized" boxes, easily reaching over twice its rated Pe (as you saw in your sims).
    Hank,
    Just for fun. [​IMG] To be honest, my interest in this stuff has very little to do with my needing a new sub, or my craving for rave-style bass levels. I just find it all very interesting, all the parameters of drivers and the design process. It's also probably the easiest realm in audio to completely outclass even the most expensive commercial offerings, which is gratifying. And it's fun to use my Jasper jig.
    Also, it's a good way for me to learn driver physics and such, as I'd like to design my own full-ranges as I become very familiar, on a detailed level, about the way all this works. I've never had any formal education in anything related to this stuff (not all that bright to begin with), but maybe one day I'll be able to tweak crossovers in my sleep like Pat Sun seems to do. [​IMG]

15. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Know what you mean, Jack. I love building speakers, including the hours of veneer finishing. And I love my Jasper! Here in Austin, we've got our own up-and-coming speaker/crossover designer in the young U.T. engineering student, Mark Hayenga.
    Keep makin' sawdust! [​IMG]

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,

I agree with Jack! It's just plain fun! The whole reason I got an engineering degree was because of my interest in audio. It's a lot more fun applying some of this than reading about it. It's a huge challenge as far as my woodworking skills are concerned. I also want the peace of mind in knowing that I have a sub that I would have to intentionally try to damage in order to bottom it out.

Also, since I'm starting my own business I think showing people that I can take it to the extreme is a good thing for those that want that level of performance.

Brian

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian,

You and I are just too much alike, except you are about a couple years ahead of me. But make way, I'm catching up fast. My love for Audio gear is also the main reason I went to a Tech School instead of a normal college, and you know which school I'm talking about.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

Yeah, but I think my student loans are probably twice as much as yours!

Brian

P.S. How are those speakers sounding?

19. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    My AV1's are sounding great. My MB1 cabinets are due in sometime next week. I'll post reviews and my opinions when I get it all set up.

20. Manuel Delaflor

My first conclusion after the few days since I posted this is that nobody in the magazines/publications area has ever reviewed a Shiva or Tempest on a sonotube... that's sad!

But... (and this is the interesting part) all current users apparently agree in thinking that both are perfectly competitive with SVS or HSU designs...

And... I still want to see if somebody has actually measured a DIY sonosub against any model of those brands!