What's new

Anyone have strong opinions on Atlantic Technology vs Klipsch? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm from Trinidad and very new to the HT scene.
I purchased a Rotel reciever from my dad that he had lying around ... I kid you not ...
And this being my first experience with HT, I put together a quickie inexpensive system in my bedroom comprising of a Toshba DVD, Optimus speakers from Radio Shack and a 80w sub from Koda ... All feeding into a 27" sharp via S-video. For a slapped together chepo system it sounds pretty decent, though I'm sure that's mainly due to the Rotel.
Now I've completely gone off on this HT thing and I want a BLOW your mind system for my new house which is a work in progress...
We have Klipsch, Atlantic Technology and Radio Shack here and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to who I should go with?
I went to a Klipsch demo of the Reference series powered towers with the 400w built in subs ... It really moved the air! I was impressed, but I'm still green to this entire thing.
My own chepo system sounded fantastic at first, but I now notice some nuiances ... The sub sounds boomy at times (I live loud ... the louder the better) and the two main fronts are not exactly timbered with the center ... So I'm learning as I progress.
Back to the original question any strong opinions on Radio Shack vs Klipsch vs Atlantic Technology? I'd like to max out at $3000 US or less for the speaker set if possible.
I'm 80%HT/20% music ... MY HT preference is, for example, when you are watching Gone in 60 seconds, and he starts Elanor ... I want to feel the big block kick me in the chest ... That's what I'm looking for, along with quality too ... The new system will go into a dedicated room, that will be medium-large.
Thanks in advance, all opinions are welcome.
Marcus

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Marcus,
I have owned the Atlantic Technology System 350 THX for almost four years now and have nothing but good things to say about them. For HT, they provide very good sound and pack plenty of punch.
If you are interested in AT, try the following link:
http://www.onecall.com/PID_1433.htm

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Welcome to the forum Marcus!
I have had quite a few set of speaker’s setup in my HT room (Klipsch, AT’s, Energy’s, and now JBL’s) and you can read all of the reviews on my web site.
As for which YOU should get.... my first advise along with most here on the forum is you MUST audition them yourself and see which YOU like the most. The next thing to take into account is the room that they will be going in, size, shape and treatments all play a big part in what each will sound like in that particular room but only YOU can tell which sounds best to you in your room.
My main recommendation: Audition, audition, audition….
Hope this helps.
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I agree with Mark,You need to listen for yourself,not just once or twice either.I spent hours and hours last time I bought speakers.I dont plan to buy again anytime soon(other than adding more for 6/7.1).THe previous time I bought speakers,I heard one set,fell in love and bought them.I sold them a few months later because they were not to my liking.
Now,for my $.02.The speakers I bought this last time are Klipsch.Now,I am on more of a budget than you and my system was around $1000.I did get some nice discounts though.I ended up with a set of sf-2 for my mains(tower with dual 6 1/2 drivers) the matching center which is the sc-1 and I got a pair of matching book shelfs for the rears,the sb-1's.At the same time,I also placed my order for a SVs 25-31cs.
Now if you want that kick in your chest,Look no further than SVs.I am currently feeding mine about 70watts from an old dpl reciver,it is just an awsome,teeth rattling,bone shattering sound and feeling.
For movie theater sound,I think Klipsch is the way to go.For music,well...That was not as important to me.They were "ok" but now,I love them for music as well.I do not know if I have just gotten used to them,or they are good and broke in or a combo of the two.
Take your time and read here,listen,take dvd's cd's you know and love to your next audition.
------------------
Chad's DVDs

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot guys ... certainly does help ... I guess my own preference is better than popular opinion?
I just have to trust my ear then, lol
I'll let you know which way I go then ... Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread