What's new

Anyone have Steve Tyrell Standard Time on SACD? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I've seen this SACD at a couple of Tower Records stores over the past two weekends, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I know nothing about the music. SACD has gotten me to experiment with new artists, in part because the stream of new titles has been limited, but this is one I would like to get more information on before jumping in. As it is, I bought The Isley Brothers 3 + 3, The O'Jays Ship Ahoy, and Billy Joel Fantasies & Delusions SACDs on a whim this weekend. All are very good. :)
By the way, another new SACD I saw at Tower is by the violinist, Hilary Hahn. Do you know anything about her or the SACD?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,
I have heard that Hilary Hahn is quite good. I believe one of her redbook CD recordings was well received by Stereophile. But I have not yet heard the SACD.
It sounds like your Tower Records has a better selection than mine. :)
Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I was in a Tower Records store in King of Prussia, PA, and one in Cherry Hill, NJ, both of which are outside of Philly, recently. Overall, I was disappointed in the selection of SACDs at both stores, though the selection at Cherry Hill was certainly better. Among newer Sony titles, the King of Prussia store had two copies of the multi-channel version of Dave Brubeck Time Out and one copy each of the Hilary Hahn and Steve Tyrell discs. The Cherry Hill store had two copies of multi-channel version of Time Out, and one copy each of the Steve Tyrell, Chris Botti, O'Jays, and Isley Brothers discs. I'd like to think that the poor overall selection at both stores can be attributed to SACDs selling well, but I have no idea. If that's the case, maybe these stores will increase their stock. I can hope, can't I? :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,
Recently, Tower in Atlanta increased their selection and two sales clerks (on different dates) said SACDs were selling well.
Hopefully, the extra sales will lead to even deeper inventory. In the meantime, I am sending my dollars to the Internet retailers. I don't have to drive to them.
:) Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, the news from your local Tower store is encouraging. While ordering on the Internet is convenient, I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" at the brick-and-mortar stores. Unfortunately, my trips to the stores usually end in disappointment, but I was thrilled to find the O'Jays and Isley Brothers SACDs at Tower last weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks