Anyone have "Rhapsody In Blue" on SACD ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julian Reville, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I just got a SONY SCD-CE775 a couple of days ago and bought 4 SACDs just to get started, "Rhapsody in Blue" being one of them.
    I haven't had time to really set this thing up properly, but I did notice a lot of deep rumbling in the solo piano passages, almost like what you would get with a bad turntable. Not really bass, more like sub-bass, just enough to be annoying. Did not notice this on James Taylor's "Hourglass", so I'm wondering if this is simply the recording?
    Anyone else notice this?

2. luke j. chung

That's the sound of the ventilation system being picked up by the recording microphones. It's always been there as long as I can remember listening to that recording. (You ARE talking about the Leonard Bernstein/NYPO recording on Columbia/Sony, aren't you?)[​IMG]

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

That's the right recording. Ventilation system, huh? Darn, that's annoying as hell. I can't hear it on my bedroom system, those speakers with 8" woofers don't go down that low, but the living room speakers with the 15" woofers sure do show it.

Thanks, Luke