Anyone have problems playing "Dredd"?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just bought "Dredd" (the new one, not the Stallone version) and it flat out won't play in my BD player, even updated the player's software and nothing. The on screen message says "cannot operate this disc" and the message on the display of my player says "unknown." I looked at the disc and it's not scratched or anything so I was wondering if this was a common problem or not. Does the fact that there is a 3D version on the disc cause this? The packaging does say it contains the standard version as well so...I dunno. I'm wondering if Wal-Mart will even take it back or not.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My copy operates fine, in both 2D and 3D. Loaned it to a friend, who had no problems on his 1st gen PS3 either. What player are you using?

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Both the 2D and 3D versions play just fine on my Sony BDP-S790. You might try disabling BD Live on your player if it's not already. It can cause quite a few problems with some brands/models. It's also possible that you just got a bum disc.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
read from a few places that there was a bad batch of discs.....just curious if there's some way to tell between the bad and good ones.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Michael Allred said:
read from a few places that there was a bad batch of discs.....just curious if there's some way to tell between the bad and good ones.
I don;t think other than playing. BestBuy apparently got a large number of bad discs -- my first one wouldn't play on anything (Oppo, PS3, Sony, PC), 2nd disc from BBY was fine. Walmart Target and Amazon also had some bad items, but it seemed BBY got the bulk of the reported 'unplayable' discs

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just got mine from Amazon today, and the 2D seemed to check out fine, but the 3D is a freaking disaster. Player is the Oppo BDP-93.

First time I tried loading the 3D version, the screen flashed wildly and it crashed the player. I tried powering off, but it went directly to starting up instead.

Assuming (I know, I know) that that restart actually worked, I put in HOUSE OF WAX to see if anything in my system was the problem. The 3D image was barely functioning. Lordy. This time I powered the Oppo down for real, and then HOUSE OF WAX played normally. (Whew!)

DREDD 3D loaded, but wouldn't display a correct 3D image. Most of the film looked flat, and in those shots that did provide some 3D there was some really odd shit going on.

I then updated the firmware on the Oppo, seeing that the most recent was only several weeks old. Double-checked that, restarted, but it was just as before. As the movie loads, there's some abominable flashing and other nonsense (which at least didn't crash the player this time), then in the movie itself, the 3D is just totally F****D.

So how are people going about getting corrected discs?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Charles,

I have the same player and my initial experience was identical, i.e. the 3D version was oddly flat (you could take off your glasses and notice that there were no visible shifting frames etc., a surefire sign that something is wrong). I then ejected the disc, restarted the player and that fixed it, i.e. I could watch the film without any problems and the 3D worked as it should. I haven't tried the disc since, though.

Reed Grele

Screenwriter
Supporter
Real Name
Reed Grele
I experienced the same problem a few months ago. But since I didn't know that there was a bad batch, I watched the entire film thinking "what a lousy 3D transfer!"

Then I did some research and found out about the 3D problem. i was able to exchange the disc for another one which played fine.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Real Name
Charles Smith
Reed, where did you buy it? -- or did you get an exchange directly from Lionsgate?

Mine's from Amazon. I can return to them, of course, but if they have a bunch of these, the back and forth could go on forever.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Welp, time to unwrap my Dredd 3D disc and see if it works in my Oppo.

Will get back in touch with you.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, same thing on this end.

Start to play 3D version and the screen goes through multiple
static flashes.

Not sure I want to start returning this to Amazon over and over again.

It will eventually play in 3D.

Reed Grele

Screenwriter
Supporter
Real Name
Reed Grele
Charles Smith said:
Reed, where did you buy it? -- or did you get an exchange directly from Lionsgate?

Mine's from Amazon. I can return to them, of course, but if they have a bunch of these, the back and forth could go on forever.
Amazon sent me a new one.

Maybe I just got lucky.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just sent mine back today for a replacement.

It totally crashed my Oppo to the point it would not play any 3D
until I rebooted it.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just processed mine for return and it'll be handed over to UPS in a couple of hours.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
July