What's new

Anyone have one of those new front loading washer machines? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to think when I last saw a top loader in use. I think my great aunt had one in the 1960s.

Top loaders are in many respects more ergonomically friendly (less bending down, though I admit they aren't much fun if you're on the short side). I think front loaders caught on in Europe because our houses are smaller, and front loaders can be fitted underneath/inside kitchen units.

Have Dyson front loaders reached your shores yet?

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I bought the cheaper Kenmore front loader along with the matching dryer. We got both for less than a grand. This washer has a smaller opening than the larger front loaders but it can actually hold about the same amount as a conventional top loader. I believe similar models can be purchased under the GE and Frigidaire name. We've been pleased with the washer so far. It's nice and quiet and has a very fast spin cycle which aids in drying the clothes faster.

If we had bought one of the more expensive models (Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag) then we would have picked up a cheapo dryer and not the matching one. I think they're making a killing on those matching dryers and they probably don't dry any better than the cheaper ones. I could be wrong though.

Wade

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They make front-loading washing machines?

Isn't it kind of hard to keep the water inside when you open the door?

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Isn't it kind of hard to keep the water inside when you open the door

my old Neptune (still going strong with heavy loading) from date of my last post here (oct 2002) to current.

...Takes so little water you can stop it...wait for the unlock mechanisim to release and open the door to add a piece of clothing. The water level stays below the bottom edge of door when puddled and not in a spin mode.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it kind of hard to keep the water inside when you open the door?
Don't joke about such things. The first washing machine had a defective sensor and I flooded my kitchen twice before the fault was rectified. By a curious piece of synchronicity, the person who would become my mother-in-law some five years later bought the same model of washing machine at the same time with the same fault.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The first washing machine had a defective sensor and I flooded my kitchen twice before the fault was rectified. By a curious piece of synchronicity, the person who would become my mother-in-law some five years later bought the same model of washing machine at the same time with the same fault.
Wasn't a Dyson, was it? :)
Actually, I don't think the Dyson's are here in the US yet. I'm looking into their vaccuums, though.
One thing that does scare me is the scenario where a sensor doesn't work and the machine floods my laundry room, but I guess the same could happen with a top loader as well -- it would just take longer to overfill.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Our Neptune is still going strong, too. Sometime in 2003, after 4+ years of ownership, I got a satisfaction survey from them, and mentioned the moldy door seal. They called me up, sent someone out, and fixed it for free. They added some sort of vent on the inner door surface. Not a speck of mold/mildew on the new rubber seal, after 1.5 years.
I think they're making a killing on those matching dryers and they probably don't dry any better than the cheaper ones. I could be wrong though.
Our matching Neptune dryer (which we got for

StephenHa

Second Unit
the frigidaire front load has been on the market in the us for almost 70 years(it used to be called bendix) frigidaire, whirlpool, and maytag are the 3 main companies making them in the us, you also have bosch (great stuff) and the europeans maytag has the best built unit now, they had a problem with one series about 6 years ago, the whirlpool is a pos not the most reliable company (out of the 4 main manufacturers they rank number 4 in quality control) I was the service manager at an applaince/ electronics store we did all the warranty work for all the companies. The GE and cheap kenmore are frigidaire that would be third choice behind the maytag and bosch, the high end kenmore is the whirlpool (exact same unit inside, but with some rework done)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I would love to own that Dyson vacuum cleaner that's in the new Sharper Image flyer.

Topic: when my GE top loader dies, I'll probably go with the Neptune front loader.

Stefan A

Second Unit
I like my front loading Kenmore for the quite washing. But the high speed spin cycle is loud and shakes the whole house. The machine is level and I even had a tech come out. Still shakes.

Stefan

StephenHa

Second Unit
that was part of a recall, whirlpool has a frame for the outside, looks like crap, also what kind of floor is it on/ if you can bounce and hear things rattle no washer will balance

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
We just got the Neptune washer and dryer combo with the pedestal and the washing and drying has been tip top. The damn clothes are almost dry after the spin cycle alone! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks