Anyone have one of those new front loading washer machines?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by RonR, Oct 4, 2002.

1. RonR

RonR Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market for a new washer/dryer and believe I'm going to go for one of the new front loaders. They say they're supposed to save you $ by using less water/electricity so I'm thinking somebody on here could give me some feedback as to whether they are worth the extra bucks. I don't need anything special to wash my Bart Simpson undies but figured if it saved me $ in the long run...

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

New? Europe's been using them for years & years & years [​IMG]
    As for the saving, you have to work out the premium in cost vs the amount you'll save over the lifetime of the machine.
    This is going to sound dumb: depending on where you keep your washer/dryer, it's worth double checking space too - remember you'll need more space "up front" to open the machine compared to your old top loader. That make sense? It sounds dumb, but it's easy to forget.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my parents have a pair of the maytag neptunes, it takes a little longer to wash it seems, but it does seem to get things cleaner than other washers I've used, it's quiet, AND they get some kind of a rebate from the power company for having them.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

While it is true that front loaders are more energy-efficient than top loaders, savings are a function of the difference in purchase costs v energy costs in your area.

Another benefit is that front loaders are somewhat more gentle in their washing action than top loaders, so, in theory, clothes last longer (and Bart may appreciate it as well). J

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

My family had a Westinghouse front loader in 1966, so they are definitely not new.

In theory, top load washers, the bigger the load the more water they need, so they have an upper limit to their size, else they need so much water to clean.
    Front loaders use much less water because they do most of their agitation amongs themselves (and small paddles built into the drums). While top loaders need the spiral agitator to rotate them. I think the agitator is what causes the clothes to wear out faster, too.

That washer lasted about 15 years. Eventually the heavy load of washing eventually moved the drum out of alignment.

6. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've got a GE front loader, and I love it. It's supposed to be better on your cloths since they don't have an agitator. It requires 1/2 the amount of detergent and softener per load. Lastly it uses less water then a top loading one. It seems to take longer to wash but the clothes need less drying since it's got a very good "spin" cycle.

As for space in front to load... it's no different then a dryer. Plus you can stack them (as I've got them set up) or place them side by side and use the top for storage. (You can put counter top above them too).

Now that I own one I'd never go back to a top loader.

Brian

7. RonR

RonR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

Yeah I knew that these were in Europe for years and are really just getting the mainstream notice now over here. I mean front loaders have been in laundrymats for years. Space will not be a problem so I will go with the Neptune from Maytag, probably will match it with a slightly cheaper dryer though.

8. BrettB

BrettB Producer

We replaced our washer & dryer a couple of months ago and were considering a G.E. set w/the front loading washer but decided against it. The front-loader was almost three times the price of a traditional washer.

The washer & dryer we were replacing each had major repairs within the first 8 or 10 yrs so it made more sense to go cheap and consider them "disposable" in the event of a catastrophic failure.

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

While I am not currently in the market for a washer, I was doing some research for a friend who was, and the consensus was that front loaders are the best choice. The only negative is the cost of purchase. Clothes get cleaner using a front loader (the average turnover per minute is 2 in a top loader and 30 in a front loader) and it's gentler on clothes.

10. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I have a Frigidaire Gallery front loader that I purchased about 3.5 years ago from Sears and it's been great. I don't think I'll ever buy a top loader again. Saves me money by being more energy effecient and by using alot less detergent. Definitely recommended.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

BTW go to a coin-op laundromat and see how many top loaders they have [​IMG]
    most of the ones around here have mostly frontload.

12. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I have the Neptune, the last years model with the 'rotary dial' before the electronic keypad.
    Love it, one major repair.
    A huge plus for me, we have an almost 60 yr old home with low water pressure, we still have not gotten to having the main line dug up and replaced. I always buy the biggest cubit model available in a washer and waiting on the old top-loaders to fill took forever. The Neptune takes so much less water, it eliminates this problem.
    For me it's also size, the Neptune held the most of any on the market when I purchased and with the lack of the agitator, this is more 'usable' space.

The old Neptunes held water in the bottom between the door and the seal of the stainless tub (and occasionally I open the door and one lone sock has landed there...I just toss in the next load. Mine is used so often the water 'refreshes' constantly so it never mildews (a complaint of some owners). I don't know if this 'gripe' occurs with the newer models?
    I never make a purchase that does not have a drawback here or there. But I would do the Neptune again, and when I check out models/brands available on my next purchase, it will most assuredly be a front loader.

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

We also have the Maytag Neptune (older style with the rotary knob, vs. the new touchpad), and it's been great.

As Mary said, our rubber seal does have a slight amount of mold on it. I occasionally clean it with bleach or Oxiclean, and the funk doesn't get into the clothes.
    Other than that, it's been perfect.

My old top loading Whirlpool Large capacity used 28gals/wash on the medium setting. The Neptune is load sensing, and fills accordingly. It's size is super+ (3.3 cu ft), and the biggest load of heavy towels and jeans I could get into it, used 26 gals. It was literally twice as many clothes as in the Whirlpool.

And, it really does put less wear and tear on the clothes. Highly recommended, if you can bear the initial purchase price. Looking at "Life Cycle Cost," it's likely cheaper than most top-loaders, anyway.

Todd

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The laundromat i go to has only front loaders and my clothes have lasted so long compared to when I used the crappy machines at the dorms. Yes front loaders are more gentle AND clean better AND use less water (wow, a triple whammy) in my experience. When I get a house or condo I'm definitely spending a little more to get a front loader...

15. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

I also use the Neptune and went with a cheaper dryer. It does use about half the soap and in Oregon, you get a state tax credit which makes it a pretty attractive deal.

16. RonR

RonR Stunt Coordinator

My Neptune arrives Thursday with the cheaper dryer, I was kinda worried about the touch screen instead of the old fashioned knobs but on the Maytag website it says the touch screen has a 5 year warranty by itself.

Thanks for the info everyone.

17. Brian Perry

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am now in the market for a new washer/dryer.

I'm sold on the front loader concept. My local Home Depot has the Neptune washer for $799 (on sale from $949)-- is this a no-brainer or are there other newer competitors I should look at?

Also, they sell a stand/riser for the washer and dryer for $199. Any reason to get this other than to raise it a few inches?

18. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Check these guys out:
    http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/laundry/washers/washers.cfm
    The company is based in New Zealand. The washer is a topload but has the features of a frontload with water conservation, a unique wash cycle that is gentle on clothes (AND gets them clean) and a vigorous spin cycle that reduces time in the dryer. The system is beltless and the drum is on some kind of gymbal so the load rarely gets off balance. If it does it warns you. I wouldn't have heard of the company if not for some friends who recommended it.
    I bought a refurb pair last year for about 1100.00 and also got the rebate from my local utility and tax credit, making the total price around 950.00. YMMV.

19. Brian Perry

I've heard good things about their dishwashers but I'll have to check out their clothes washer. I chose a Bosch dishwasher over the F&P becuase I heard there were problems getting service. (Of course, one would hope these things didn't break in the first place.) Have you had any issues?

Thanks.

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I've had no problems with it, but then I'm a single person household. My friends are a married couple with two dogs and three cats so they get a little more use out of theirs. They've also had no problems. I was told servicing the machines is very easy, though perhaps finding a person who can do it is an issue. The place I bought it from has its own service department so that's covered for me. I would think there would be more options where you're living.

BTW, read an article on Millenium Park and had a friend visit there last week. Sounds really cool!