1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have insight to any future Denon Price drops?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff S, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at getting a Denon AVR-4802 Receiver ($2,499 MSRP). I'm wondering if anyone knows if there may be a price drop on this unit in the near future. Afterall, why pay nearly $2,500 for $500 or so to be dropped off in a week? (seems like that's always the way it goes).

One thing i considered was buying it from another retailer or e-tailer for less. Some of these distributors claim to have store warrenties in which they'll fix it if it breaks, but it is not the same as a Denon Authorized Warrenty. Opinions on this? would i be a fool not getting the authorized warrenty?

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

If your looking for a 4802 email me privately and I will get you a great price now from an authorized retailer.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Geoff,

Price drops can potentially happen at any time. The last Denon receiver to get a price drop was the AVR-3802 which was dropped from $1199 to $999 (MSRP). If I were in your position and looking at the 4802, I would also consider the following option. Purchase an AVR-3802 for $699* and then look for a separate power amp (Parasound off of Ubid). This combination would run you less than $1,500 (US $$) and would blow away the AVR-4802 any day of the week.

* = On another forum, I read where an individual was able to get the Denon AVR-3802 for $699 (shipped price) from 6th Ave. Electronics. 6th Ave. is an authorized vendor. Also, Ubid is apparently an authorized vendor for Parasound products, from what I've read.

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a good option Wayne, but I've demoed the 4802 and I love it. I want the THX Ultra certification and mainly the THX Post Processing (a debateable topic: the value of THX, but I prefer it so case closed on that in this thread at least, please).

Perhaps later on I'll add a separate 7 channel amp to the 4802 for cleaner sound, but I don't have much room for any more equipment where I'm living right now. Thanks.