Anyone have insight to any future Denon Price drops?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff S, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at getting a Denon AVR-4802 Receiver ($2,499 MSRP). I'm wondering if anyone knows if there may be a price drop on this unit in the near future. Afterall, why pay nearly $2,500 for $500 or so to be dropped off in a week? (seems like that's always the way it goes).

One thing i considered was buying it from another retailer or e-tailer for less. Some of these distributors claim to have store warrenties in which they'll fix it if it breaks, but it is not the same as a Denon Authorized Warrenty. Opinions on this? would i be a fool not getting the authorized warrenty?

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

If your looking for a 4802 email me privately and I will get you a great price now from an authorized retailer.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Geoff,

Price drops can potentially happen at any time. The last Denon receiver to get a price drop was the AVR-3802 which was dropped from $1199 to $999 (MSRP). If I were in your position and looking at the 4802, I would also consider the following option. Purchase an AVR-3802 for $699* and then look for a separate power amp (Parasound off of Ubid). This combination would run you less than $1,500 (US $$) and would blow away the AVR-4802 any day of the week.

* = On another forum, I read where an individual was able to get the Denon AVR-3802 for $699 (shipped price) from 6th Ave. Electronics. 6th Ave. is an authorized vendor. Also, Ubid is apparently an authorized vendor for Parasound products, from what I've read.

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a good option Wayne, but I've demoed the 4802 and I love it. I want the THX Ultra certification and mainly the THX Post Processing (a debateable topic: the value of THX, but I prefer it so case closed on that in this thread at least, please).

Perhaps later on I'll add a separate 7 channel amp to the 4802 for cleaner sound, but I don't have much room for any more equipment where I'm living right now. Thanks.