Anyone have information on the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Oct 26, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Can anyone give me some information on how the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp is used and what it does? It's been out in Europe and Japan for awhile, but is only now coming to the US. The October issue of Stereophile has a sidebar on the 'P9000ES as part of its review of the Sony SCD-C555ES multi-channel SACD changer. Unfortunately, Stereophile wrote very little about how the 'P9000ES is used. What intrigues me about the 'P9000ES is that it has two sets of multi-channel inputs, which would be great since I have both a DVD-Audio player and a multi-channel SACD player. My Sony STR-V444ES receiver only has one set of 5.1-channel inputs. Could I connect the 'P9000ES to my receiver in some way for use as an external multi-channel pre-amp? Is that how it is intended to be used? The '9000ES retails for $700 and I've heard that Oade Bros. is selling it for $450 (haven't confirmed that), so it could be a much cheaper alternative than a new receiver in order to get two sets of multi-channel inputs. So, will the 'P9000ES work for me? Also, is it available in the US yet? Crutchfield doesn't have it on its web site. Thanks in advance.
    On a side note, I did a search for "TA-P9000ES" on Yahoo! and found a personal web page of someone in Australia who says the 'P9000ES is meant to be used as an add-on to Sony's TA-E9000ES multi-channel pre-amp. Is that the only use for the 'P9000ES? I would think there is some way to connect it to a receiver.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on October 27, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

The Oade Bros. do sell the TA-P9000ES for $450. Just got an e-mail two days ago about it. I need to hook up my DVD-A and SACD and they recommended it. I haven't seen it or seen any specs on it. Does anyone have specs or pictures of it?
    Jeff
    Just found this. It has a picture and some basic specs. TA-P9000ES
    ------------------
    And yes, DVD-Audio does sound better.
    [Edited last by Jeff Williams on October 26, 2001 at 05:54 PM]

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff,
    The link you provided is to the web site in Australia I referred to. He states the TA-P9000ES is to be used with the TA-E9000ES. I will have to call Oade Bros. to see if the 'P9000ES can be used with my Sony STR-V444ES receiver.
    Jim,
    Thanks for the link to the TA-E9000ES forum. Much appreciated.
    Anthony,
    Thanks for being lazy. Kidding. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime