1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have information on the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Oct 26, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Can anyone give me some information on how the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp is used and what it does? It's been out in Europe and Japan for awhile, but is only now coming to the US. The October issue of Stereophile has a sidebar on the 'P9000ES as part of its review of the Sony SCD-C555ES multi-channel SACD changer. Unfortunately, Stereophile wrote very little about how the 'P9000ES is used. What intrigues me about the 'P9000ES is that it has two sets of multi-channel inputs, which would be great since I have both a DVD-Audio player and a multi-channel SACD player. My Sony STR-V444ES receiver only has one set of 5.1-channel inputs. Could I connect the 'P9000ES to my receiver in some way for use as an external multi-channel pre-amp? Is that how it is intended to be used? The '9000ES retails for $700 and I've heard that Oade Bros. is selling it for $450 (haven't confirmed that), so it could be a much cheaper alternative than a new receiver in order to get two sets of multi-channel inputs. So, will the 'P9000ES work for me? Also, is it available in the US yet? Crutchfield doesn't have it on its web site. Thanks in advance.
    On a side note, I did a search for "TA-P9000ES" on Yahoo! and found a personal web page of someone in Australia who says the 'P9000ES is meant to be used as an add-on to Sony's TA-E9000ES multi-channel pre-amp. Is that the only use for the 'P9000ES? I would think there is some way to connect it to a receiver.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on October 27, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

The Oade Bros. do sell the TA-P9000ES for $450. Just got an e-mail two days ago about it. I need to hook up my DVD-A and SACD and they recommended it. I haven't seen it or seen any specs on it. Does anyone have specs or pictures of it?
    Jeff
    Just found this. It has a picture and some basic specs. TA-P9000ES
    ------------------
    And yes, DVD-Audio does sound better.
    [Edited last by Jeff Williams on October 26, 2001 at 05:54 PM]

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff,
    The link you provided is to the web site in Australia I referred to. He states the TA-P9000ES is to be used with the TA-E9000ES. I will have to call Oade Bros. to see if the 'P9000ES can be used with my Sony STR-V444ES receiver.
    Jim,
    Thanks for the link to the TA-E9000ES forum. Much appreciated.
    Anthony,
    Thanks for being lazy. Kidding. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime