What's new

Anyone have information on BIG? (1 Viewer)

John Simon

Second Unit
This is one movie that I've heard nothing about. I don't understand why, as it is one of Tom Hanks' best films. Anyone know if this is planned for a DVD release anytime soon? Thanks!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Steve beat me to it. Yes it's already out. But the word is that it isn't the best transfer (pre-dates Fox's vast improvement in DVD quality).
Hopefully a better version will be out one of these days soon.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Big is on DVD! It's sitting on my shelf between Beneath The 12 Mile Reef and Big Bad Mama.
It's been out for over two years now from Fox. It's catalog #4112608.

John Simon

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware it was already out. Then my follow-up is: How can an SE not be planned?!? Like I said, this is one of Hanks' best! Are there any plans for a re-release? I certainly hope so...

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
This is an excerpt from the Fox chat transcript of July 31, 2001:
quote: [LukeB] Are there any plans to revisit "Big"? One of my all-time favorites (like Home Alone, both very popular movies) but received extremely poor treatment from FOX's early years in the DVD game. Any chance of a "Big" re-release" and when would be the earliest to expect it?
[PeterStaddon] Big is currently not planned to recieve any new treatment in the near future. There are a lot of titles that I would like to visit and this is one of them, but its a question of scheduling and return on investment. It will not happen for a while, maybe xmas 2002. [/quote]
[Edited last by Glenn Heberle on October 28, 2001 at 01:20 PM]

YANG

Screenwriter
Currently only the best version to go for is the R1 release. R2 and R4 releases are edited versions...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Daaaaaaaaamn...if the R1 release is the "best" version, then that is appalling! It is so plain-jane and such a dated DVD that my wife's avoided it like the plague, and she adores this film! I've also read in several places that the video leave a bit to be desired, although I haven't seen that personally.
But, it's among the Fox titles scheduled to get a price drop on 12/18th...its new SRP is $19.95. That usually means a street price of $14.99. The thing is, Best Buy and other places already sell it for $17.99...so I dunno whether 3 bucks will make a difference for a murky non-anamorphic release with just a trailer as it's only supplement.
If it gets a promo price around $9.99-$12.99 by some retailer, then perhaps Stephanie will find it in her stocking. Before I did that, though, I'd like to know whether it is DEFINATELY in-the-works for an SE. I'd hate to want to rebuy it.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
[Edited last by David Lambert on October 29, 2001 at 04:33 AM]

John Simon

Second Unit
Any news at all regarding a possible SE? I've still heard nothing at all, and I'm finally about to break down and buy the current version. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks