Anyone have Hunter for X-Box yet?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Gamespot finally posted their review.
Gave it an 8.0, which is pretty good for them. I played this at a friend's house over the holiday weekend for about a half-hour, and it was enough to convince me I needed to grab this game for myself. It should be just the thing to hold me over until Morrowind!

Edited for grammar. "...posted there review" indeed...

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over this game now. I'll pick it up after work and post my review on Monday (gotta watch the NBA playoffs so I'm not sure how much gaming I'll get done this weekend).

Dave F

Effects Supervisor
How does this hold up over extended play? I've been enjoying it so far (rental), but I wonder if it's a one trick-pony. After a few levels, have you pretty much seen it all?

Fantastic graphics, IMO.

-Dave

Jason_Lund

Grip
I picked this game up a week ago and have played it a lot with my girlfriend. It's a very fun, if sometimes frustrating game (fixed save points are a new concept to a PC gamer.. hehe). I keep coming back for more and have managed to overcome a few tough encounters by trying different strategies rather than just run around in "spray and pray" fire mode. Certain resistances/immunities among the monsters to some weapons keeps life interesting.

The well designed multiplayer system is certainly one of the strongest points in this game. It's just not as much fun in single player mode as it is with one or more friends at the controls.

Sound is exellent, as are the graphics. The controls took some getting used to, but now that I have a feel for the two analog stick movement/aiming system I like it.

It's certainly one of the most entertaining games I've played on any platform in a while. I would put it in the top 5 list of Xbox games for single and multiplayer fun to date.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
How does this hold up over extended play? I've been enjoying it so far (rental), but I wonder if it's a one trick-pony. After a few levels, have you pretty much seen it all?
I suppose. There are a couple of missions that have different objectives but it's not like the gameplay itself ever really changes. You run around and slaughter stuff, pretty much

Anyone have any suggestions for tactics against the last boss? I know what I have to do but I'm just not sure of what the best way of going about that is (I'm currently using the biker guy, if that makes any difference).

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I've had about 10 hours of gaming on it and I agree with most of what's said above:

1. The objectives change but the general what-to-do stays the same: slaughter undead things.

2. Much more fun with multiple players. In fact, I say the fun grows along with the number of players. My girlfriend and I have fun, but when another friend came over and we had three players, it was a blast!

3. Music is appropriately matched to the action. If there's no baddies onscreen it's quiet, but as soon as some pop up, it's like a rock concert!

4. Framerates are very good, as is the use of 5.1 surround.

5. It's not a ripoff or rehash of Gauntlet, but if you liked the original concept of Gauntlet you'll probably like this game (I lost a summer of 7th grade to that stupid game back in the eighties).

Dave F

Effects Supervisor
I just had one of those moments that seem to happen in every great game. I was running through an area that looked like a hospital ward, and heard one of those little spider dudes spawn in the left rear channel. Without thinking, I just aimed in that direction and I nailed the guy. Moral of the story: 5.1 surround is the best thing to happen to gaming since 3d acceleration!

-Dave

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm loving this game. It's pure mindless entertainment at it's best!
In fact, I'm playing this instead of Halo if you can believe that. I'll get back to Halo soon but Hunter is the current favorite flavor for me.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Been playing this one since Friday night, and I'm addicted! The sewer levels are so pretty that it's distracting, and the game is just FUN. Sheer mindless kill-em-all kinda' fun. Other than Halo, I'd say this is the best game on the system right now.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Another cool thing I found about this game: I just finished the game the other day with the biker guy so I decided to mess around with the other characters a bit more. So I take the raver girl. In the second level, when I was going through the town, I pull out the two pistols she's got and start shooting at the zombies and I discovered that if you shoot these guys only a certain number of times with the guns, you'll end up blowing their torsos off without killing them. So before too long, I've got all these marching pairs of decomposing legs coming at me trying to kick me in the shins. It was so precious it almost pained me to finally have to kill the poor things, but before that I was laughing so hard my eyes teared up

ChrisV

Second Unit
I found Hunter: The Reckoning to be fun, mindless, and short. The graphics were good and the sound was excellent. Hack 'n slash fun without the minimal role-playing elements of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Unfortunately, the game is very short. I'm not sure how long it took in total, but I would say way less than 10 hours, maybe five or six? I'm sure it is a great multiplayer game, but those looking for a single player experience should rent Hunter first. You'll have plenty of time to finish it.

Oh, and to those who have finished Hunter, what's up with the final boss fight? Silliest boss fight ever.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I just rented this last night and popped it in for an hour or so. So far it's a fun game, and the graphics are amazing, but I do have two gripes:

First, there are a lot of iron grate-type fences in the first few levels (Playground and Cemetary), as well as some chain-link fences along the borders that you can run behind. Somehow, these magic fences have the ability to stop bullets! I understand that if I could just sit behind a closed gate and plink away at the zombies on the other side without the risk of melee damage from them, the game would be less challenging. But it seems silly that I can't fire a pistol through an iron grate. Maybe they could have used something a little more solid so it would make sense that you couldn't shoot through it.

Second, my Hunter (Defender) has a wicked katana and some cool melee moves, but she gets locked into these weird combinations far too often. Particularly when I was trying to protect the little girl, I would swing the sword a few times and then get locked into this extended animation that had the Hunter leaping, slashing, twirling, and lunging at nothing but air as I got further and further away from the girl. The combo attacks are cool, but can't I just stand in one place and swing the sword if I want to?

Oh, and the camera drives me batty, too. (So that's three gripes)

But...I do enjoy playing the game, and I can't wait to get back to it tonight! I had a lot of fun with it last night--it's just that the few things I mentioned above really took me out of the experience and reminded me that it was just a game.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey, can anybody help me kill the head warden guy??? I don't know if he's the last boss or not but I'm having a hell of a time killing him... I've gotten to the point where I'm all friggin out of ammo except for the infinite ones.. I have
a pretty high level Defender and can't seem to do this guy in... This is the guy with the beard and he spawns all these
plants that whip you.. I've read on xboxcheats.com that I'm supposed to destroy a window for the last boss fight but how am I to know if this is the last boss if I haven't completed the game yet???

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody? I've tried to shoot the red tornado/vortex thing as it appears the guy heals himself from that and it also sucks out your conviction if you stand in it.. Not working. I tried to shoot out the window looking thing that's boarded but it didn't seem to do anything... Help!!!

Jay

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Jay, I just got there and now I'm having the same problem. No way this is the last boss, but he is sure as hell hard to kill. I don't know about the "red tornado" thing you mention. For me he sends out this kind of inky black circle that knocks you down if you don't jump at the right time, and he whips me with those tentacles ... I've shot him sixteen million times and his health barely decreases ... Anybody know how to beat this guy?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey James... I'm still stuck, I decided to start from the beginning with a new game but this time, playing the biker dude, the guy with the cool battle axe thing( His shotgun is weak!!!, I like the Defender's magnum better simply cause it reloads and fires faster, but the battleaxe is wicked fun)
Anyway, the red tornado thing I mention is on the wall opposite the window looking thing that is boarded up. it's by the glyph that gives you Conviction, away from the glyph that gives you health. I've been playing with this for a bit, if you stand by the red tornado thing and you see blue specs flying from you to the tornado, you are losing conviction. Just stand there and you'll see your conviction decreasing. Similarly, if you see the monster go by the tornado, he is regenerating, you can see his health start going up. I've tried with the shotgun with my Defender and unloaded a ton of bullets to the tornado to no effect. I've rocket launched the boarded up window to no effect. I'm lost as what else to try. Those whip things are very annoying, it's worse that the controller is too big for my hand and my hand starts to hurt after awhile...
James, could it possibly you're fighting Carpenter? The guy I'm at is past the guy (who you meet earlier in the schoolyard when you save Katrina (?) The guy I fight has a red ray that damages you and a red fireball thing that he shoots at you. I don't remember what Carpenter does but that might be him... If this rings a bell, take a nice look at the electric chair he comes from...

Jay

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could check this myself but I just moved and the Xbox is packed up right now, but as I recall, I killed that guy by just hacking the shit out of him with my guy's axe (I was playing the biker). Maybe used some rockets on him too. I died a lot and after I finished the game I think I ended up feeling that he was the hardest boss I had played (Carpenter and the very last section, which is where you have to break the window, were much easier for me).

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I'm fighting the warden, Jay H. You go into the mansion and meet the warden who has been turned into a vampire. Maybe I am talking about a different boss, because I haven't fought Carpenter yet. Any tips on how to kill the warden?
By the way, Jay - you might want to consider trying the S controler if the normal one is too big. I have it and think it is much more comfortable.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chsblr