Anyone have experience with TMJ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    just recently, i've discovered a popping/clicking sensation on the right side my jaw when i eat. everytime i bite i can feel/hear it.
    i suspect this may be TMJ. obviously, i'll get some medical attention.
    just curious as to whether anyone else has had to go through this and if so, what your thoughts or suggestions are.
    thx,
    ted
    btw - am i supposed to see a doctor or dentist? [​IMG]
    [edit] i found a pretty good website if anyone else is curious: www.tmj.org

2. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

I developed TMJ after dental surgery when I was 22 or 23. The popping or clicking was very loud and constant, and some of my friends were completely freaked out by the noise when I ate. I saw a dentist who suggested investigating various appliances or surgery to correct the problem, but as it wasn't causing me pain I decided to to simply ignore it and after a year or so it went completely away on it's own. I haven't heard a click in nearly 20 years now so I guess in my case "inaction" was the best remedy. I only have my own experience to go on, but if it's not causing you pain I'd suggest living with it for awhile to see if it corrects itself. Sure beats surgery.

3. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

i occasionally have problems from TMJ. My wife has it real bad and had to get a special mouthpiece. Beware though because insurance will rarely cover the expenses. The dental people say its a medical issue and the medical people say its a dental problem so that is why insurance will most likely not cover any expenses.

Jeff

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    There is no sure cure for TMJ. A dentist will be no help to you. Depending on your insurance, your Dr. may, doubtfully, offer some sort of temp treatment.
    Your only options may lie in the alternative field. I.E. chiropractor.

Ted, I have lived with it for years. It is a mild annoyance at the worst. Do see your Dr. though about possible causes.

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    double post

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks for the info all.

so far no pain. it's just kind of annoying, but (i think) i can live with it. my only fear is that it will develop into something worse later in life.

as far as insurance goes, i'm going to the dentist tomorrow morning so i'm sure he'll give me the scoop. i hope i don't have to do the doctor vs. dentist routine...that'll get old really quick.

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

"Why don't they just call it 'clicking jaw'?"

My TMJ seems to rear its ugly head while I'm making out, which is somewhat embarrassing...

On a serious note, I've had it since I was a child, and have never had any pain or other complications. I just click away on occasion.

8. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I have the same "clicking" and have noticed it is more prevalent in the morning hours. Does it have something to do with the pressure/stress that you may put on your jaw while sleeping?

9. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

In college, my jaw would actually LOCK open - as in, I couldn't shut it! This was extremely distressing. However, since then - and that was a good 12 years ago - I only "suffer" from the clicking sound.

I also second the recommendation of alternative therapy - a good chiropractor might be able to help. Do some online and hard copy (i.e. the library) research.

10. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

I have lots of experience with TMI. That's another story, though, I guess. [​IMG]
    Actually I've had that jaw popping experience for years now. My dentists have noticed it and just told me to inform them if it ever got worse. It used to bother me, but I don't notice it much any more. Mostly it's when I eat something hard or chewy. Beef Jerky is notorious for making it pop.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

just got back from the dentist. he gave me the same advice. if it's not causing any pain, don't mess with it.

essentially, he gave me this explanation. i'll paraphrase.

there is a ball-type joint for your jaw. there is some sort of ligament (or something) that goes between the two joints to act as a lubricant. normally it's flat and smooth, but over time it can become "bundled up". when you move your jaw, it forces that bundle to stretch and "snap" back to it's flat shape. that's the clicking you hear.

he said it's not a real big deal...just normal degenerative wear and tear. he also mentioned that previous studies have shown that most people who elected to have tmj surgery of some sort fared no better (or worse) than people who just lived with it. so now they don't recommend invasive surgery unless absolutely necessary.

oh well, i'm just glad it's not hurting. i'll live with the rest.

as a side note, he also discovered that my top teeth were not evenly biting down on my bottom teeth, so he decided to grind down my back teeth some...that was freaky. i could see smoke and smell burning enamel. ack!