Anyone have experience with this crossover?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

It is Pro audio gear: Behringer Model 3400 stereo crossover. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Behringer is a low-end pro-audio brand. Like most of their products, the 3400 probably isn’t clean enough to use with the main channels. However, for a low-pass filter it will work nice, considering the excellent Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave slopes.
    According to Behringer’s website, it only has XLR connections, an obstacle to be dealt with.
    What is the price? If it is over $300, you would be better off with an AudioControl PCA III, which is clean enough to use on the main channels.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

4. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I agree and own a Marchand XM9L that I use with Dynaudio contour 2.8 towers to xover at 60Hz. It uses 24dB slope Linkwitz-Riley xovers for both high-pass and low-pass with an level controls for both stereo channels, a level control for the exact xover frequency (called a damping control) and a bass sum switch ( combining L&R bass into a single output).
    I hear no degredation in sound quality and the noise floor is very good (audiophile quality).
    www.marchandelec.com

5. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Thanks for replies.
    Wayne:
    Price of Behringer is only $220 locally, I will look into the AudioControl piece you reference. Unfortunately, this will be for my mains. Isn't the XLR issue easily solved with the Radio Shack adapters? And what do you mean by "clean enough"?
    Johan & Bruce:
    The Marchand looks very nice, but at $800, it's out of my price range at the moment.
    Rich B.