anyone have experience with the new Panasonic PT-53TW53

Discussion in 'Displays' started by george king, Sep 4, 2003.

1. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I was running errands and dropped into CC (I know), and saw this set. I guess it is a new model, and has a decent looking cabinet underneatch for components.

Playing with the set for a few minutes produced a reasonable picture, and it has a DVI-HDCP input. However, I was wondering if anyone had the set or knew anything about it.

Thanks a bunch.

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

George,
    I have the smaller model of this set-the 47WX53-and I'm very happy with it. The only caveat I can give is that the new 53" model seems to have a problem with the "evil pop" as evidenced on other boards(Home Theater Spot, Brett's Panny TV site). This is when the set turns itself off and makes a pop noise, and when it comes back on the color is severely misaligned. I've seen too many cases of this reported online to be comfortable to recommend the 53" set. Thankfully(and knocking on wood as I write) it doesn't seem to be an issue with the new 47".

3. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

George,

I have this set, the 53TW53 and I'm very happy with it. I bought DVE, but haven't had time to really play with it, besides some minor adjustments. Unfortunately, I have a nice component cabinet that I use, so the space under the speaker grille is not of much use to me. I have it hooked up to my surround sound system, so I haven't even tested the speakers yet. My buddy bought the exact same TV a couple of weeks ago and I've heard his speakers. They're very good. I would say that if you don't have a surround system, try it for a while with the speakers that are built-in.

I'm running mine with the Samsung HD931 DVD player, connected via DVI and the picture is fantastic. BUT, the picture is fantastic with my XBox playing DVDs via component cables too, so I'm not sure if the HD931 was worth the bucks.

I recommend this set, highly, for the price. I also bought a 4 year service agreement (from Circuit City), for $419, so I'm not too worried about "evil pop" as I will probably be ready for another set in 4 or 5 years.

If you get one, let me know, by posting to this thread, what you think of it.

Good luck,

Kevin

4. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

I have the 47wx53 and I too purchased a Samsung HD931, I'm like you I'm trying to find differences in not only switching from 1080i to 480i on the Sammy, but comparing the 1080i to Xbox (which I guess should be pretty close to the 480i on HD931). Your right, the picture is fantastic on both, but I've only had the HD931 for 2 weeks (via BB.COM) so I might end up taking it back to my local best buy store. You count the DVI cable, and that is $400!!! And the thing is, when I watch a 1080i DVD and then switch to my HDTV cable and watch lets say "square pegs" (an old sitcom I'm guessing) on HDNET or the "Candidate" (which has been shown about 10 times this weekend), the sitcom blows the picture of the HD931 away still...From what I've seen so far, anything that I've watched on my HD931 doesn't hold a candle to TRUE HDTV broadcasting. Having had my Panny for 2 weeks and my HDTV cable not even a week, I think I've been too impressed with HDTV on my bigscreen to really get that upset with my HD931, so I'm thinking if I had the TV and cable for 6 months and then got this DVD player I would BE VERY disappointed.

What do you think?

Andy

5. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

Andy,

I agree with you. In my opinion, the $400 is not worth it. I am pretty much decided to take it back. I remember when I first got the TV (6 weeks ago), I went out and got a $129 DVD player and never thought I'd spend a lot of money on a DVD, but now that I've spend $400 on the Sammy, it doesn't seem like as much as a stretch to spend $699 (less $100 instant rebate, less 10% from CircuitCity) for the Panasonic DVD recorder. I could have the one with the 80GB hard disk for $540, that's only $140 more than the Sammy HD931, that I don't think gives me a better picture anyway.

Also, the remote is TERRIBLE, and all the mechanical parts and functions (like disc loading, menus) are SLOOOOW! For people who use universal remotes, I guess it's not that big a deal, but I haven't tried so I don't know if it's the problem of the remote's signal strength, or the capability of the IR receiver on the unit itself (in which case a better remote would not help).

Let me know what you do with yours. I'm interested. I have about 10 days more to change my mind, which I do NOT see happening.

Regards, Kevin

6. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the way I am, I will wait till the last day to take it back so I'll let you know then. I'm not sure what I'll do with the DVI cable, I would like to get a DVD recorder too I think. But aren't DVD recorders like a one time record, like CD-R's. Say for instance, if I want to record an episode of the Soprano's then that it is for the DVD-R disc, right? The 80gb DVD recorder seems like a much better choice for me, I just hope it has DVI output (I think it does?)
    Kevin, also I don't think we can fault the DVD player as much as the fact as that we don't have Plasmas. I've read a couple of comments from people who had $10,000 tv's and could tell a huge difference between 480i and 720p on the HD931. Still, I think Samsung's claim of upconverting to HDTV is a little misleading, because like I said my HDTV via cable looks outstanding compared to 1080i mode on my HD931.

Yeah, the remote SUCKS!! IT takes forever to do anything with it, and it seems nearly IMPOSSIBLE to fast forward or rewind, doesnit it!? You have to HOLD the button in!?!? I like my Xbox remote way better than that, and I didn't like it (the xbox remote) when I 1st tried it!! I just fired up a DVD on my XBOX the other day to compare it to the HDDVD and I was amazed how much faster I could "get" to the movie, and how much faster and more easily I could change scenes!!

Thanks,

ANdy