Anyone have experience with speakerpages bookshelf speaks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Joe, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

Specifically I am looking at the K05B10 bookshelf speaker. That's the cheaper bookshelf of the two they offer.

By the way, thanks to those who responded to my other post. It's proving to be most usefull.

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Gary, I built that pair about 3-4 years ago and my daughter still enjoys them daily. I've also built five of the K05B40's, two of their best towers and their center channel speaker. The B40's will definitely impress with sound quality per dollar.

3. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

since the B41 is now out of stock, i would interested if any of you came across another kit anywhere which had the same options, i.e. the rest of the box parts (i live in a high rise apartment) shielded driver and similar cost?

Yes, i have searched the forum, but no other company provides the rest of the box in parts at the same cost.

4. Gary Joe

Thanks for the reply Hank! How does the K05B10 set sound?

5. Hank Frankenberg

Gary, they sound good, especially considering the low cost. If you can spring for the 05B40, it'll be worth the wait. I sent SCH and e-mail with this thread attached and asked about their stock. They replied that sales have gone up recently and they have lots of drivers ordered, and most should be in stock within a month. If you must have speakers as soon as possible, you might try the Parts Express small kit.

6. Gary Joe

I inquired also and this was their reply:

Hi Gary,

Sorry to say the kit K05B41 will be retired on account of the woofer vendor will be unable to manufacture the woofer any longer. We will be replacing the K05B41 with kit K05B50. This will be a satellite 2-way (5/4" and 1" silk dome tweeter) bookshelf. It's purpose in life will be as a bookshelf or center channel be used inconjuntion with a sub-woofer. It has great mid-range and highs but lacks lower bass. It should appear on the web-site shortly.

So now I guess I'll just get the cheaper set. That'll make the wife happier anyway.

7. peter_anderson

it is good to know they will still sell a shielded mini-bookshelf, though!

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I wonder if there's any chance that they will move to using round framed drivers.

Brian

9. Gary Joe

I just noticed that the K05B10's are 4 Ohm and I'm pretty sure my Sony is 8 Ohm only. That stinks! Would playing 4 Ohm speaks on an 8 Ohm reciever at low levels only be a problem?

10. peter_anderson

only because it is Sony (snicker, snicker, just kidding).

if you have one of the beefy sony models (DB or ES) it won't be a problem.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gary,

I imagine at low levels (like background music levels) that 4 ohm speakers won't be a problem. Just don't go cranking them for an hour or so and I think you'd be fine.

Brian

12. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

Gary, it might not be a big problem at really low levels for short listening periods, but remember, neither I nor anyone else on this board is going to be there to pay for any repairs to your unit if it blows up. I probably err on the overcautious side, I just don't want you to mess up your equipment based on the advice of some anonymous poster on a message board. Also, I would suggest calling the speakerpage guys. I did and I have a Denon 3801 and they did not recommend any of their speakers with a nominal 4ohm load, but did point me towards their other products that would be more suitable.

13. Gary Joe

I just got off the horn with SCH and they said at normal to moderate levels a 4 Ohm speaker playing on an 8 Ohm reciever is no problem at all. I also inquired about the K05B50 (the replacement for the K05B41's). The tech I spoke to said the imaging and midrange would be equal to if not superior to it's predecessor, but the bass extention is very limited. In fact the K05B10 has much better bass response than it does.

14. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

hey guys, i'm very interested in the k05b50. i think i'll be ordering it with the front baffles.

couple questions...

1. should i polyfill it? if so...how much?

2. is 5/8" MDF easy to find?

3. does it feature binding posts?

i plan to use them as computer speakers powered off a 35wpc marantz and paired with a yamaha 8" 100 watt sub. sound good?

15. Jason Wilcox

haha i couldn't wait....just ordered them

how long does this company take to ship items usually?...are they fair with shipping charges?...the checkout didn't mention what the shipping was or about when they would arrive.

16. Hank Frankenberg

Hi Jason, I ordered a pair of the lower cost bookshelves a week ago for a neighbor kid (I bartered assembled speakers for 5 lawn mowings). They were shipped the same day. SCH is quality guys - very nice, and fair. Shipping charges are reasonable. You'll be happy with the value.

They come with terminal cups that have binding posts. There may be some fiberglas fill material in the kit.

5/8" MDF is not hard to find (at least here in Austin).

17. Jason Wilcox

thanks hank! i'm really lookin forward to this first foray into DIYing. this kit seems like a great way to get my feet wet. maybe in a few months i'll hop in the deep end and build a nice sub.

also...i think it's pretty funny that you paid the kid in speakers...

18. Jason Wilcox

one last thing...

i decided to make the grill myself. i'll use the grill fabric from a pair of very cheap speakers i have. i'll just mount that to a rectangular frame. but, how do i attach the frame to the cabinet of the speaker. i was planning on using velcro. would that work well?

i've also heard of people using magnets...do you just glue them to the cabinet?

19. Hank Frankenberg

Jason, I did the magnetic grill thing on a pair of GR Research AV3's for a local customer. 1/4" diameter x 1/4" thick neodymium magnets work great. Determine the exact location of the four corners of your grill frame, drill 1/4" diameter holes in the baffle at those four locations just deep enough for the magnets to be flush with the baffle surface. I used a bit of epoxy in the holes to hold the magnets. Then, you apply your laminate or veneer or paint and there's no sign of the magnets. Then epoxy magnets in the four frame corners. It's a really nice touch and if you do serious music listening with the grills off, there are no ugly plastic socket holes showing. Completely stealth, and those neodymium magnets are STRONG.

20. Jason Wilcox

that sounds really slick hank. but, i just bought some velcro over at staples while back to school shopping. i probably won't be doing much listening without the grills off anyway since these are destined for a dorm in a year (i can just imagine people poking at the tweeters).

here's another question...I found some 3/4" plywood in my house that seems to be very sturdy. Would it be ok to substitute this for 5/8" MDF? I really would like to so i could save some money. Also...the plywood has a wood laminate (oak?) layer on the outside that i could stain so it would look quite nice.