Anyone have experience with Sony 999ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I heard great things about this newly released DVD player from Sony at the Atlanta Hi Rez Event.
    Does anyone have a unit?
    How does Super Audio sound?
    How is the video quality?
    Thanks, [​IMG]

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Lee,

There's a big thread going on over at AVS Forum about the 999ES, and right now the biggest debate is over the video quality compared to the Pioneer 47Ai. There was also a short review of it on Audio Asylum last week. I think the early word so far is that it's got excellent video quality, but build quality seems lower than the 9000ES. As for audio, I've seen posts both positive and negative.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Eujin,

Thanks. I will check out the AVS but I am not a big fan of that forum. There is not a lot of content IMHO there.

As far as audio, I have heard excellent things about the audio side and I think the AA review was fairly positive.

I would be surprised if the build quality is not good, based on the frames the Sony rep brought to the Hi Rez event.

I have heard the 47Ai and the SACD performance is still lacking, unfortunately. I generally like Pioneer but they seem to be dropping the ball of late.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I read that the 'NS999ES weighs around 14 lbs., which is about half the weight of the 'S9000ES (ca. 27.5 lbs.). The 'S9000ES it built exceptionally well, but the 'NS999ES seems to be a mere mortal DVD player by comparison. [​IMG]

5. Jerry Raupp

Jerry Raupp Auditioning

Someone that has opened one up may confirm this -- I have heard that the 9000es weighs so much due to a lead block or some other dense material being attached to the chassis. I suppose this added mass serves to lower the resonant frequency of the structure. Again this is not fact only something I have heard which serves to explain the very high weight of the 9000es.

Jerry

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, I know the 'S9000ES has a thick chassis, and it is very likely more robust than that of the 'NS999ES. So, the heavier weight of the 'S9000ES relative to the 'NS999ES is probably not explained simply by a beefier power supply in the former, though that could be a factor as well. I'm not sure how the power supplies compare.

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I saw the triple 9 the other day at my local Tweeter. I didn't have a chance to play with it though. I may sell my 9K after three years of continuous duty and pick up the triple 9 if it can hang. I have a hunch it's a good player. [​IMG]

8. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

The posts at AVS forum are becoming quite positive for the 999. Just because a unit doesn't weigh a ton doesn't mean it's not a very good performer. One AVS member, who just received his new 999,is very pleased with the video. He also has a Panny RP91. He said he didn't notice any chroma bug. It's looking more and more like this is going to be a good unit. [​IMG]

9. Bryan "C." A.

If SACD is what you want most from a player, the DVP-NS999ES may be among the best. It has two menus of full digital bass management -- one for DD/DTS and the other for SACD. Full to me means that it has variable gain, some function for adding time delay (in this case speaker distance to listening position)*, and a crossover that routes low frequency information from bass incapable speakers to bass capable speakers. Per literature found elsewhere than the manual (though it may have been in there?), the crossover is fixed at 120Hz so you may want to get an ICBM anyhow.
    It was fairly weighty -- I think over 15lbs. It had one very interesting feature: when opened, the door slid out of the way and a sliver of a disc tray hardly thicker than the media itself was revealed. The remote was ergonomically one of the most comfortable ones I have held.
    The video quality was among the worst I have seen though. I have seen many better progressive scan models. I personally saw too many errors.
    * The DV-45A manual specifically states that it will not process time delay for SACD which is a disappointment.
    For more comments on the Pioneer DV-47Ai, DV-45A, Sony DVP-NS999ES, and DVP-NS755V click below:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=101026

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Bryan "C." A.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Well I have to say it sounds like you did the right things. Maybe we will get a good formal review soon.
    I will chime in as soon as my local dealer Sound & Cinema gets one in stock - any day now.
    They have a Loewe Aconda (best direct view in the world IMHO) which is perfectly calibrated. That should provide a strong test bench for video performance.
    [​IMG]