Anyone have experience with or comments about Panasonic pt53x54 HDTV??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin_Breeze, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Looking for a Big screen TV and I don't care about a TV being thin I just want a nice big screen with awesome PQ and that will last a long time reliably. Found this one online for as little as $1400 delivered and heard a couple good things about it.

Are there any downfalls to RPTV's though? we do have a nig window in the livingroom, not sure if glare really hurts RPTV's or not...

Appreciate any input...

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I had the opportunity to calibrate one a couple of weeks ago. They've done a really good job of fixing some old issues with the previous model - most notably, uneven focus across the screen (especially with blue). Colour linearity was pretty good, so I passed on lens striping. There was one major issue though that had me scratching my head for awhile. I just couldn't get the grey scale accurate. Whenever I got the got the blue drive within range, I could see the background turn very visibly blue. I had to reset all the cuts and drives and adjust the screen trimpots and *finally* got the expected results. Since that's the only WX54 I've calibrated so far, I can't say whether this is a common problem, or an anomoly.

As for glare, although the customer didn't want it done, it didn't look terribly difficult to remove the protective screen. This completely eliminates glare and reflections.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I have it younger brother/sister/cousin (47x54) and its worth it. I had it since June 04 and the picture is great. I had it ISF at the early stages of its life and its great. I had the glare screen removed. Its worth it.

The ISF tech also had troubled with the greyscale. He discovered that the cuts and drives were all mislabelled. It took him a while to figure out what was going on, but WOW, it made a huge difference.

I had the screen replaced months after ISF, due to a scratch. It's not too hard to remove the screen, but you have to take the front of the set apart to get to the screen.

I have the service manual for my TV. I assume that the 53" just have a bigger screen.

If you like, I can also send you that portion on the service manual on how to remove the glare screen.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The cuts and drivers are sort of mislabeled and increasing some parameters actually decreases them ... while others work normally ...

The programmer for this generation of set was apparently having some fun with calibrators ...

Regards

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

So, are they all like that? I just thought my x54 was the only one had been mislabeled.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I hadn't even considered that they were mislabeled somehow, but after reducing the blue screen control (and the green, but that was probably unnecessary), the cuts/drives seemed to function as expected and I ended up with a decent grey scale.