Anyone have experience with Audiosource Amp Two,Three, or Monoblocks? Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Feb 27, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    After a lot of research on Power Amps, I decided to go with a Crown CE1000 for my Tempest based sub. After experiencing the fan noise, and the 1.4V input sensitivity that is difficult to drive I am looing into other options to see if I can solve those issues. I first thought about getting two plate amps and building a rack mount chassis for them(I need a rack/shelf sub amp with level control). But I keep getting recommendations for these Ausiosource Amps. I always thought Audiosource was the "cheap" brand that Best Buy carried, but based on recommendations and reviews I have read this seems to not be the case.

After reading all the near perfect reviews of these amps on audioreview.com, these amps have sparked some interest. Many of the reviewers are comparing these amps to much more expensive ones such as parasound, etc... Now they also state they are not Krell quality, but what amp this cheap is???

With the price being just right, has anyone had experience with these amps? What is the quality like? The amp will be used for subs only so mid/high sound quality is not an issue. Also, how would they compare to pro amps such as my entry-level crown?

Thanks all!

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I run a single Amp Two for my whole house audio system. It drives 3 sets of 8 ohm in-walls. It has proven to be very reliable, and I've driven all three sets simultaneously at high levels with no issue. It's a very clean-sounding amp.

Having said that, I'm not sure it would provide the sort of headroom you need for a sub (then again, maybe it would- I've never tried). Maybe the Amp Three bridged would be better?

I can say that I'm very satisfied, and I've actually considered adding a few of these to my theater setup.

Todd

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I'd recommend against using one of those amps to driver a subwoofer. Unless maybe the Amp 3 in bridged mode.

I have the Amp One (early version of Amp Two) and it's doing fine (driving plain stereo). It's a nice little beginners power amp.

For a sub, especially a tempest, look for something with a bit more power. Try the Samson S700 (SVS uses them). Or the plate amps (which is a good idea too, since they're only $130 apiece at 250 watts).

4. marc seals

marc seals Agent

I have an Audio Source Amp 5.1 monoblock. 75x1 @8 ohms and 100@ 4ohms. I use it to run a Shiva sono-sub for my computer sound system. It has never run out of steam yet, but keep in mind I don't do anything near reference level on my computer [​IMG]
    Another thing ...the manual said it was stable into 2 ohms. I tried it with an older car audio sub with 2 4ohm Voice coils wired in parallel(ala 2 ohms). It powered the sub without a hiccup, pretty impressive for this little amp. I can only imagine the "big brothers" to my amp (5.2 and 5.3) would do even better.
    Good luck

5. marc seals

marc seals Agent

Oh one more thing [​IMG] I did an "amp" face-off with four different amps to see which one I liked better for sound quality with a different Shiva sono-sub (ie larger).
    The amps were the Audio Source Amp 5.1 ([email protected]) , Marantz MA500 ([email protected]) , Mackie M1400i ([email protected]) and an AB Systems (about [email protected] also) pro audio amp.
    It wasn't an exacting test I just wanted to see which one sounded better at decent volume levels with a vareity of sounds/music. Believe it or not I actually preferred the Audio Source over the other 3. All 4 amps had their own distinctive sound which really suprised me. The AB Systems came in second with the Marantz third. The Mackie "to me" just didn't sound near as good period.
    I ended up selling the Marantz and the Mackie to fund a Tempest DIY project (and some DVD's) and am powering it with the AB Systems amp.
    If anyone wants more specific details drop me an email
    Thanks

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Interesting...

Too bad you didn't have a crown or QSC in there. I would be very curious as to how those sounded. From what I hear the Mackie amps are pieces of junk in the PA world.

7. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

I use an AMP2 in bridged mode (200w) on an SVS 20-39 and it will go as loud as I can stand in a 4000+ cubic foot room. Nice tight bass. Recommended with one caveat, the auto-on does not work well at low volumes. Save some bucks and get the AMP1 (JandR.com).

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have a Amp 5.3 monoblock. It has fan noise as well, so I wouldnt reccomend it if that is your concern. I am going to attempt the "Fideck Fix" on mine though. If you do a serch for fideck (SP?) fix on the forum, you will find that you can put some kind of diode inline with the fan. It will slow the fan down a bit. The fan will still have plenty of speed to cool the amp but it wont be noisy. In my general experiance with PCs and amps, most fans do not need to spin anywhere near the insanely fast loud levels that they do. I just need to find the right part to do this fix, then I will probably report back here.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Charles,

You need a zener diode from what I hear. Go to the advanced/DIY area and scroll down a day or so, several people were doing this fix just yesterday.

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Yeah, I posted there. Unfortunately I cannot get one locally, and the link posted there is for a company that charges a $5 handling fee for small orders. I dont want to pay over $6 for a little diode. I was wondering if someone with some EE knowledge would offer another solution like a resister or something.

11. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

I've been using an AMP3 for a few years now, I currently use it to power the bottom half (2 x 8" woofers per) of my Paradigm Ref 100's, the top half is powered by a B&K 307. I've by passed the volume controls on the AMP3. It works great. The build quality and parts are very good. I have found that the AMP3 does not perform well when it gets hot, I gets very noisy, I had it on top of the 307, not good, I've moved it and it works fine, the other problem is it does not like a 3 prog grounded plug, it is a little noise at times with it, I've moved to a 2 prog or cheater. I use to use it to power my rears Paradigm Ref ADP when I had a Meridian 568 with a Sunfire SG and found it to be noise at times, but now with the woofer clow passed at 200hz thru the c/o I don't hear anything. All in All a very good buy. Try UNCLE STEREO in NYC http://www.unclestereo.com/ , they beat J&R for me.

12. myke

myke Extra

I use an audiosource AMP3 to power a pair of Martin Logan Aerius is. It sounds terrific, and I really have no complaints. From what I understand, electrostatics are typically a difficult load (4ohms nominal, 1.7ohms minimum I believe for the Aerius is), but the AMP3 handles them perfectly.