Anyone have experience with a Mercedes A-class?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I guess this question applies primarily to those living in Europe. My wife and I are seriously thinking about a Mercedes A Class, the 140. I've read good things about them on the web (aside from the since corrected rollover debacle in the first models), and we love everything about it. We're going to test drive one for a couple of days on Monday.

One really cool feature is that all the seats except the driver's are removable, for lots of room to haul large objects.

I guess a one-year old model is gonna run about $14-15,000 total.

Anybody out there have any experience with one?

2. andrew markworthy

Depends how tall you are. I'm 6ft 9" and I couldn't fit in the driver's seat (even the longer wheelbase version). A shame, because I really liked the car. In the end, we settled for the Peugeot 407, which I think is even better (unless seat removal is really a necesity).

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    You're not gonna get that many replies since the A-class isnt available in North America... yet :p)

4. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

5. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I know it's not been released in N. America yet, hence the "for those living in Europe" disclaimer.

Damn Andrew, 6'9"? Markworthy DOES sound like a basketball player's name. [​IMG]

Ray, by average size American I take it you mean weight wise? (I'm not being sarcastic)

The seats being removable is pretty important for us, since it seems like we're always cramped for room and often try to carry things that are too big for the car.

6. andrew markworthy

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How much about do you think the A-class will start at in North America (specifically, canada)?

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

nick- approx 45 billion canadian dollars [​IMG]

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ha-Ha... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

NickSo,

It depends on where the North American market A-Class cars are built. If they're built in Germany, expect a price around US$24,000 to US$26,000; if they're built at the same plant in Alabama that builds the ML-Class SUV's expect a price around US$21,000 to US$23,000.

11. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I can tell you how much the A-series go for here in Germany, where they are probably cheapest (since they are built here by a German company).

They start at 14,450 euros (16,762 with VAT, which I would assume is not included in the States) for the A140. That's the base model, 1.4 liters, 82 horse power.

One of the many neat things about the A series is you have a choice between the normal length and a 17cm longer version (about 1,100 more), with the extra space going primarily into the wheel base and trunk, so you get a lot more space in the back seats.

Who would have thought that you could get a new Mercedes for well under $20,000?