What's new

Anyone have experence with Pergo? (1 Viewer)

Art Morales

Agent
My wife has her heart set on pulling up the carpet and installing laminate flooring like Pergo. Does anyone have any experence good or bad with laminate flooring? It looks pretty easy to install your self. Glued, pre-glued, or snap together? I was told that if you have some damage with the glued type the only way to replace a plank is to cut it out as opposed to taking the floor apart and replacing the damaged plank and putting it back together with the snap type. Or should I talk her out of it and buy a HDTV ;)

Cam S

Screenwriter
My parents installed Pergo flooring in the kitchen and living room this summer and it looks awesome. Dad did it with the help of a carpenter friend and it didn't take long at all. He glued all the joints, so I guess it would be difficult to repair, but it is super durable.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
i dont' know about you but i think that stuff looks cheesy, it may be very practical but something that i see everyday...i don't like it...i'd rather have the carpet unless it's extremely worn down....sorry

Yes it is very easy to install....i had to do it for my aunt's house and it only took a few hours to do the hall way and bathrooms....

Cam S

Screenwriter
The pergo we have looks identical to red oak, so I don't see how it's cheesy? It is WAY more durable than carpet and cleanup is way easier, not to mention it adds to the feel of the room.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
We used a pergo-type of flooring made by formica. Came in planks rather than squares so it added more of a wood-floor appeal.

Make sure you use a decent, sound deadening mat underneath. There is one that will help disperse moisture and is highly recommended (can't remember the manufacturer). We used it in the basement since we weren't sure if dampness would be a problem over the long term.

Pergo-style flooring is very loud and slippery. The reflectivity of Pergo plays h-ll with an audio system. Audio reflects everywhere.... We're buying a ton of area rugs to deaden the sound. If you have dogs, it is a riot to watch them attempt to corner on it.

Good Luck

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I used pergo on my kitchen. besides my one oops that I could hide under my fridge. it looks rocking. I have a yellow lab and his nails dont bother it either. great flooring! but the thing is with the snap together you still have to glue it.
If one piece messes up there may be lots of work ahead.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
i dont' know about you but i think that stuff looks cheesy, it may be very practical but something that i see everyday...i don't like it...i'd rather have the carpet unless it's extremely worn down....sorry

Not unless the carpet you are replacing is that sculpted mottled brown, blue - err any color actually - new or worn.

It doesn't look as nice as red oak, or maple, or any real wood floor that was properly installed.

I know a professional house cleaner and she says it is harder to keep up. Don't know why though.

I think it is a good product for entry level houses where it will be used to replace a low grade of vinyl.

I went to look at some stereo equipment at a guys house and he had just put it in his kitchen, dinning area and hallways. Looked ok, but I thought in a $450,000 house that real wood would look better and that he could afford it. His place was about $300,000 above the price point.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I installed the snap-together Pergo in my kitchen and couldn't be happier. I went with a light natural maple color that looks, to me, like real wood. If you're buying it from Home Depot or Lowe's, your selection is extremely limited. I couldn't believe how many different styles and grains I found elsewhere.

As for installation, it's like putting together a tight-fitting jigsaw puzzle. It is a breeze to make it look good. One thing I didn't realize: you must put a bead of silicone around the perimeter to seal the floor.

If you have dogs, it is a riot to watch them attempt to corner on it.
My dog is terrified of walking on the stuff (he wiped out going around a corner early on). Now he avoids it any way he can.

Good luck!

Jon

Art Morales

Agent
Thanks for the reply's everyone, the two rooms that I've seen with laminate installed looked pretty good. When I was growing up my parents house had wood floors that my mom loved but with 4 kids my dad got tired of sanding and refinishing so he put in carpet. I've seen samples of some stuff on the lower end that does look cheap, but since real wood is out of my price range and the wife is happy with a wood look alike then I guess I'll have to find the time to do it. Then maybe she'll let me get that Hi-Def TV someday.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
I own a hardwood flooring business, and I would never recommend Pergo over a real hardwood floor.

To me, someone saying that Pergo looks just like real hardwood, is the equalivalent of someone saying that Pan and Scan is just as good as OAR.

Now, that's not to say that you aren't happy with what you have, but to the trained eye, Pergo just looks artificial.

A couple of things to consider:

1.) If the floor isn't installed by a "Pergo certified" installer, the warranty is void. I know 5 guys who were installing Pergo a couple of years ago, and today, none of them will work with it anymore.

2.) Pergo cannot be refinished down the road. Real 3/4 inch thick hardwood can be refinished a minimum of three times (lasting decades). Styles and decor change, and you'll need to rip-out your Pergo floor when it's color doesn't "go" with the changing times.

Just some food for thought, before you spend your hard earned cash.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I own a hardwood flooring business, and I would never recommend Pergo over a real hardwood floor.
I own a computer business, I would never recommend buying a dell computer :rolleyes:

I will take a picture tomorrow of the flooring and the room it is in, as it really does look great.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Isn't Pergo just a thin wood veneer glued onto a pressboard backing? If so then if you ever spill water onto it you will have to replace it.

DavidAM

Second Unit
I'll agree with Joe. Real wood looks much better. I'm a real estate appraiser so I see all types of pergo and real wood and I can tell the difference between them all the time. Even just walking on pergo versus wood you can tell the difference. I guess pergo is ok, but I'd put down a nice tile or some berber carpet before pergo. You may think pergo looks good and if so, then that is great....you'll like it in your house, but don't think it will fool anyone cause like Joe said, to the trained eye, the difference is night and day.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
"Geez, I wonder what the Pergo people would recommend??"

Keep in mind, I could easily offer Pergo for installation.

I choose not to.

Like I said before, if you're happy with it, that's fine, it's your house, not mine.
But like it or not, Pergo is an artificial substitute for the real thing, that was originally designed for commercial use.

I was all set to go with Pergo last summer for my kitchen.
Got the samples of the best Pergo from them. Picked a color
and started to get estimates. Then, after talking to a friend I check out hardwood. There is really is no
comparison. And the best part, hardwood was the same price
as the best Pergo. I had to have the installers rip up 2 layers of vinyl. Hardwood can only be installed on the sub-floor. Pergo can go on top of old vinyl.

Pergo is really a picture of wood. Hardwood is the real thing. For me, there was only one choice.

Joe, I live in Wilmington. Wished I had known about you
last summer.

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
Hardwood is nicer but not nearly as durable.I suggest if your getting it in a room with your HT get the under pad called "soft step". It absorbs alot of sound and has a nice feel when you walk on it. I had mine installed through Home Depot and would never do it myself.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my sis has pergo in her house. the only thing i noticed is if i stand on it for a long time my feet sorta hurt. dunno why. that doesn't happen at my friend's house...they have hardwood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks