What's new

anyone have Directv+Tivo and/or UltimateTV? (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone wants a comparison between Tivo and ReplayTV, but I'm interested in the DirecTV versions.
If you have used one of these, what are your thoughts?
Does the DirecTV+Tivo differ from a stand-alone Tivo unit?
How does UltimateTV differ from Tivo? (besides being able to record or watch 2 shows at once)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Don...
icon14.gif
...that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
Now I have to convice the wife we need this $400 machine.

Dave_GM

Auditioning
I have both Tivo versions (Phillips). If you are sure you are going to stick with Directv then the Directivo is the best solution. The integrated box is quite a bit easier to learn and use. You can view either the Directv listings or the Tivo listings. You can record programs easily off of either. The Directivo records the digital signal right off the satellite so there is no loss in quality. (A separate Tivo will convert digital-analog-digital-analog with some degradation.) Finally, I think the Directivo is easier to learn and use then the Directv boxes (American software is usually better than Japanese!).

John Kirkham

Auditioning
Just to let you know that at least one HTFer has a UTV and loves it. I got mine in mid March and it has had no problems, worked as advertised. Two tuners and DD 5.1 are great!
------------------

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
I think directivo is offering a $300 rebate until June 30th.
------------------
Ben

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I'm buying a new Phillips Tivo / DirecTV unit. How do I get the software to enable the second tuner?

Marc Webster

Auditioning
I've had a Sony Ultimate TV for about a month now and so far I've had no problems at all. I also have a TIVO but I had to send it back for a new hard drive after 3 months. Both machines have their respective strengths and weaknesses.
Here's how I break them down.
UTV - Dual record works great, but I don't really use it a lot. The Web TV is just to slow for me (wish I could add it to my network and cable modem). Even so, it's fun to switch between the two. I like the menus on UTV, and the PIP function works very smoothly. You can do all the usual DirecTv functions. I think that the FF on the UTV works better than the TIVO's and it's really helpful when watching a recorded program. The price is the same per month but with UTV you also get some Web access. All in all they both work well. The real question is which company will be around the longest.

Rob Scott

Grip
I was very interested in the DirecTivo until I realized that it cannot record signals from the off-the-air antenna ... and local channels are not avails through DirecTV in my area.
This means that the DirecTivo will be useless for 75% of the stuff I usually tape -- off the major networks. Nuts.
But if I go with a "standard" TiVo I have two drawbacks: reduced image quality; and lack of integration with PPV channels. Nuts.
Am I right? Any better ideas?
------------------
Rob Scott

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
reduced image quality; and lack of integration with PPV channels.
Unless you're extremely sensitive, the difference in pic quality probably won't be noticeable. Not sure what you mean about integration with PPV, tho.
I have a standalone TiVo with my local channels coming from Cable, and everything else from my DirecTV receiver. It works seamlessly going from the cable channels to satellite and vice versa...
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Rob Scott

Grip
Not sure what you mean about integration with PPV, tho.
I understand that with DirecTivo you can choose a PPV movie or event just like you record any other show; it will automatically schedule it to be record *and* set up the payment.
As long as this is just two steps instead of one, I guess it isn't any big deal.
------------------
Rob Scott

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I understand that with DirecTivo you can choose a PPV movie or event just like you record any other show; it will automatically schedule it to be record *and* set up the payment.
Ah, of course. That's probably true. I never end up watching anything on PPV...my unwatched DVD pile is already too large. :)
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks