Anyone have Comcast Digital Cable in the DC/MD/NoVA area?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Hi there,

I live in Washington, DC and was called tonight by Comcast to try their digital cable service. I didn't sign up because I know nothing about it, and wanted to do some research.

Is there anyone out there who has this, or is knowledgeable about it, who can vouch for it? Is it worthwhile? How much do you pay per month? I have read their FAQ, but it didn't help. If anyone responds I will certainly have more questions, such as what equipment is needed and how much that costs.

Thanks for your attention,

Todd K

2. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Disclaimer: I don't have it, I haven't seen it.

Comcast Digital cable is only digital upto the box, then its converted to analog... you are NOT geting DTV.

You MUST have a decoder box (rental fee's every month)for each TV you connect digital to. (I believe you can still have standard analog hookups)

They offer about 60 new channels, but 59 of them are PPV or require a new premium service.

They only output to a composite connection, no s-vid or component. (When I asked about the output connections, I went through two levels of support before someone knew what I was talking about!)

Ask them to send you the literature and the pricing list. As I see it, Comcast charges you extra for a Digital connection, just so they can offer you additional shows to charge you for!

Money may be better spent on a Sat hookup, compare what is offered on both.

I did not see a single advantage to converting, so I didn't. I do use their cable ISP service... don't get me started.

Anyone correct me if I am off base here...

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

4. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Do you have a digital to analog converter? I think the system is proprietary... you need their box.

AFAIK, the quality of your picture will not be improved over the standard cable connection. (There may be a very slight improvement if you get alot of noise on your cable from the street drop to your house) The picture will only be as good as a standard composite cable feed.

Like I said, I don't have it, nor have I watched it for any length of time. My neighbors have it and think it's neat... they have more buttons to push!

5. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

I have it, I don't like it. Local channels have ghosting artifacts. The cable channels look OK, though. However the sound is compressed. I was disappointed in the cable box. No S-Video! WTF!I don't have HBO or any premium channels. I just got Directv on my RPTV,and I highly recommend it. Stay away from Comcast, stay very away....[​IMG]

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Comcast will be offering HD programming and local digital channels in your area very shortly...

7. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

8. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Comcast like Time warner will rent you the HD box for the same price they rent their regular Digital box for...

9. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Mike I,

I stand corrected.

What kind of outputs do they offer on the HD boxes? Does it replace HD set top box required for OTA HD? Or do you need both?

10. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Dan..

The box is for Cable HD only...The cable companies will carry the local HD or digital channels in your area as well as HBO HD, Showtime HD and in a few areas PPS HD...

The cable boxes offer component or rgb outputs for HD...

Cable uses a different moduluating system than 8VSB which is the OTA modulating system...Cable uses a QAM modulation...So if you still want to get your HD channels over the air as well as getting the locals thru cable, you will also have to keep your 8VSB hd box...

11. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

To those of you with Charter Cable, They also will begin offering cable HD...