Anyone have chainlink fence?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Soon I will be having a chainlink fence installed on part of my property- around 500ft. I am going with the black-vinyl coated with the privacy slats- my contractor says they are pretty durable -I am just wondering if anyone has this type of fence and if so- what are the pros and cons- are you happy with it? Do the slats stay on? He is going to dig down around 2ft. for each post and cement them in-its a big expense and I am a little nervous I guess- any inpt appreciated, thanks- also putting in a Vinyl fence for the driveway entry-I guess they don't fade or peel over time- we'll see.
    Tim

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I don't think you need to cement each post...just those that will have a load on them (corners and gates etc). I did our back yard with chain link but instead of using the slats we've planted some vines (virgina creepers) that will soon cover the fence to give us the privacy we desire yet still look a little more natural. I've seen some the slats that were installed years ago and they've held up well over time.

3. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

The house we bought has a black vinyl chain link fence but no slats. It was installed around ten years ago and has held up pretty well. The only area where the vinyl has started to wear out is where the gate latch rubs against the post. It really doesn't look that bad once a few bushes and vines are planted. I actually think it has a less obtrusive look than most wooden fencing I've seen around the neighborhood. The black coating makes it almost vanish into the background since there's no metal to reflect light.

4. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

well, 2 ft down is not far enough if your in the north, need to get below the frost line. I would not use cement either, 2-3 ft down with a hollow tube will hold it's own very well (have had chain-link up for 10 years.)

I am not a fan of the privacy slots, I think they are a huge eye-sore, and if not going above 4ft, I think wood looks a lot better.

Of course, I got sick of the fence and just took down a large portion of it last year, and it looks 100% better :)

Thats the reason not to cement, so you can easily take it out later.

5. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Well I need the privacy slots- I have an A-HOLE for a neighbor-besides I will be planting trees and such in front of it-so I don't really have to look at it- and there is alot fo woods around so it shouldn,t be too bad. I will be talking with the contractor again tonight I will mention the frost line (I am in New England). Wouldn't it be stronger with cement? Like a footing. The fence will be 6ft. Not abig fan of wood- I want no maintenance- thats why i had PVC used for trim around the house- much better. Thats why I am going with white vinyl for the entry fence as well.

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend cement for each post if you have a dog that either presses or pulls the fence (my pitbull would grab the fence and pull on it and make it snap back like a rubber band). You don't have to fill the post with concrete but if you live on a corner and expect the occassional drunk driver who may crash into believe it or not it can usually stop a car (I've seen this in both bad weather and when a drunk lost control).

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I don't have any pets and I am not near a road- but the fence contractor insists this is what he does- he does alot of jobs for large retail chains, car dealerships and such- so I have confidence in his skills-and besides thats what I am paying him for-I know there will be a few large boulders he will have to drill into for some posts-alot of work, but fences ain't cheap! I think I made the rght desicion based on stuff I have seen and read regarding this typed of fence with the PVC coating.
    Tim