What's new

Anyone have cable internet and direct tv? (1 Viewer)

KevinA

Agent
I have internet/phone/digital cable all through att/comcast? and get a 25$ break on my cable bill because of this... makes my digital cable bill about 45$. Not especially pleased with the digital cable, some channels look very nice, others like crap (and unfortunatly those that look like crap usually have my basketball/football on :angry:) I have had 'em come out and look at it, they messed with some stuff but it never has gottn to the point im satisfied :b Soooooooo been thinking 'bout direct tv, getting a hd box for my tosh, grabbing some nfl package and kicking back... but i cant live without my cable modem!! Is there a problem with this?? Are they going to give me some bs about not having cable cant have internet??? It would be a deal killer 'cause i've looked up alternatives and they are not in my area :frowning: Another kicker is my wife says she wants about the same monthly cost not including sunday ticket... i've seen where its 39.99 plus with locals + 12.00 first premium.. so ill be getting a bit less for the dollar but having hd + football? better picture?? any hidden costs in there?? any overall thoughts?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
no you can get the phone and internet only. you dont have to have the cable to get the other 2 trust me I work for Comcast but as he said you dont get the price break though.

KevinA

Agent
Thanks Doug/Jeremy! I figured as much with the discount, more or less was worried with the availability of the internet acess. Anyone with any thoughts to the digital cable/direct tv battle?? I see on direct tv's site they have 2 room instalation and package for free... would i have to request the spanish version for the hd satelite?? Sooo many questions... lol.

Jeff.J

Auditioning
I don't have comcast, I have TW digital and DTV. For general viewing, I personally find DTV signals easier on the eyes then SD digital/analog cable however there are many other factors for you to consider. For example...

..DTV won't get you any network programming in HD
..NFL sunday ticket on DTV is not HD (I know, I have it)
..HD from DTV may not even be available from your location. HD satellites (there are two) are lower in the horizon so if you have trees, buildings, etc. to the S/SW, you may not be able to get HD signals.

The best HD I've seen is from OTA. I currently have the Samsung TS160 HD OTA/DTV receiver and love it but OTA recention itself is quirky. Also, obviously no movies.

For me, gigital cable is the most consistent source of HD so I'll probably keep it for that. I'll probably keep DTV also just for NFL alone.

Basically, IMO there's no perfect solution.

KevinA

Agent
Just the other day i called up comcast/att to ask about hd in my area and was told that it was being discussed but that there was no timetable and not to expect it anytime soon... but then again i told her about some problems i was having with my stb and she said that mine was an older model and that i should take it in and exchange it for the newer models. I disconnect both tvs and give the boxes to my wife who takes them to the office during her lunch break, only to be told that our boxes were the only ones they had and didn't know what we were talking about. :frowning:

I do have all the network affiliates supposedly broadcasting hd ota... but I have no tuner...

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well I'd say its coming faster than they know in there call center there, I know up here we've launched almost all our customers to get HDTV, also Comcast is doing a-lot to upgrade major markets this year for both HDTV and High Speed Internet so just be patient it will come and probably faster than they know.

FilipM

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Kevin!

I have AT&T cable internet, DirecTV and phone service from somebody else alltogether - so you can mix and match anything you want. America, hehe, what a great place! :D

Filip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks