Anyone have breif lapses of memory?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 26, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Occasionally this'll happen to me. I'll get so caught up in a thought, that I'll sort of blank out for a few seconds, and then 'blank in', realizing someone else is talking to me.
    If I think back a little bit, I can remember what I did, but not as the time, heh. It happened today when I was getting McD's for lunch. I overheard someone say cheeseburgers, then, no hamburgers. That got me into thinking that I hope they don't mix them up, then the next memory I have is the lady handing me the bag. Can't even remember if I said thanks like I usually do, or just took it as I came out of my memory haze, heh. Hopefully it didn't look too phazed out [​IMG]..
    Anyone else like this at times?

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Maybe not quite the same thing, but yesterday my wife called me at work with an important call and left a message to call her back on her cell. Then she left her cell number, and I thought to myself, what the heck would she do that for, she knows I know her cell number! I deleted the voicemail and went to call her back...and damn if I could remember the freaking number!!! I had heard it maybe 12 seconds before, and I already knew it well (it's not new), but I could not for the life of me dredge it out of my memory banks! Fortunately, she called a few minutes later while I was cudgeling my feeble brain for the number.
    (Sigh) I just had my 31st birthday a few days ago...it's hell getting old... [​IMG]

3. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Uh, what was the question?

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but it's definitely similar...
    Earlier in the semester, I was in Physics and the professor was lecturing as always. I was a bit tired; I had taken three classes earlier that day and ate lunch a bit more than an hour ago. The prof doesn't exactly have a voice that would keep people awake, so I started to get drowsy and closed my eyes a bit. I was writing notes as well, and then next thing I knew, 30 seconds or so had passed and I had scribbled words in absolutely no relation to what was going on in class...like "refrigerator" or something. This happened again a few days later, but then I started taking 20 or so minute naps after lunch and I haven't dozed off since.
    Come to think of it, that doesn't really have to do with what you're talking about...[​IMG] I think I have had brief lapses of memory like you have had, but I can't remember. [​IMG]

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    If by brief you mean extended. [​IMG]

6. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I had them ALL the time when I was a daily drinker[​IMG] AA seemed to improve my memory[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I have had this happen while driving into work. I will recall making a turn a few miles away and then the next thing I know, I'm turning into the parking lot at work. It makes for a better drive. I just figure that my body goes on auto pilot.

9. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

I some times Suffer from "CRAFT" and "CRS" or as my parents would say a SENIOR MOMENT

C ANT

R EMEMBER

A

F REAKIN ( you may use the R rated version if you like)

T HING

C ANT

R EMEMBER

S %^!

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

heh, is there any technique to retreive lost seconds of memory during sleep? If I didn't say thinks for the food, I must have just stared blankly, dropped my money in the bag with a loud clang on the desk, and left all in what seemed like slow motion to me [​IMG].
    Hopefully I didn't say anything else other than thanks. Who knows what word that could have popped out of me in that waking dream moment. For all I know, I could have said blanks [​IMG].

11. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Sometimes I remember dreams that had been long forgotten...often this happens as a form of deja vu, then I realize I had a dream about what I am remembering. Does that make any sense? For a moment I get confused as to whether I have actually experienced the thing I am remembering, then I realize I dreamed it to begin with.

12. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Bob, I know exactly what you mean. I've had this happen more times than I can count. I just don't know why I can't dream about anything worthwhile and have it translate into real life...it's always something mundane like a conversation topic or going to the amusement park. [​IMG]

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Greg wrote,

"I had them ALL the time when I was a daily drinker AA seemed to improve my memory"

LOL, been there done that. I'd lose hours at a time. I once woke up in the back seat of my car at 4:30 am in the parking lot behind Yosemite Lodge, 95 miles from my home in Fresno, and had no idea how I got there.

In my first year of nondrinking I'd have many daily instances of short term memory loss. I'd put something down and immediately forget where it was, and spend 20 minutes searching for it. Sometimes in the middle of the search I'd forget what I was looking for! I found out this was pretty common early on in sobriety so quit worrying about it. The less I worried about it the less it happenned.

Now, many years later, things just disappear completely. I'll drop something in an area where it just plain can't end up hidden, yet it will completely disappear as if by magic. I can make the item reappear if I go do something else for a few minutes. It will reappear in plain sight in a place I'd carefully already looked for it. Spooky.

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>It will reappear in plain sight in a place I'd carefully already looked for it. Spooky.>

Maby your house is haunted. Seem to remember this being a common phenomenan in those cases.

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

This morning as I was about to walk out of the shower, I couldn't remember if I had used any soap.

~T

16. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Ask me what I had for lunch or dinner yesterday and I may be able to tell you after some serious thought. Ask me about the day before yesterday and I have no idea. Zip. Nada.

I have conditioned myself to only leave my wallet in one of two places. If for some reason I leave it somewhere else, I usually have no idea where it is when I wake up to go to work. Although this might seem kinda cute, I can't tell you how frustrated and angry this make me. I usually wake up the whole house screaming, "Where the F*** is my God **** wallet !!!". I've worked up such a sweat, I had to re-shower, then I miss my van-pool and I'm really pissed.

I've had items mysteriously vanish too, especially when I'm working on my PCs. For example, I'm putting in a new video card. The phone rings, someone knocks on the door, my daughter ask me it come look at this or that, I go get a drink from the frig. I return to the PC I'm working on and Bam !!Where's the new video card and the screw?!!! It was f'in right here !!!! ARGHHHHHHH !!!!! I have no idea where it is. None. Nada. Zippo. Luckily I'm able to remember the distractions, backtrack, retrace my footsteps and find things. Now I'm so worked up I need to take a break before I break something.

Misery loves company so knowing others are in a similar boat helps, a little.

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i used to be *so* notorious for losing my keys that my friends started forcing me to announce where i put them. i finally am now in the habit of putting them in one place only...but i still fall off the wagon from time to time.
    one time i was driving late at night on the freeway. the next thing i realized was that i was pulled over on a side street parked! [​IMG] i had absolutely no recollection of changing lanes, slowing down, exiting an off-ramp, pulling over to the side and parking the car. man...was i spooked big-time when i came to.

18. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

The weirdest thing for me is that sometimes I can read a thread and by the time I get to the end of it I don't remember what the topic was. That brings up an interesting question... Does anyone ever have brief lapses of memory?
    [​IMG]