Anyone have bad experiance with bass shakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron_Morris, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

I have searched and read many positive experiances about the bass shakers but have yet to see any real negitive reviews. Just curious if anyone doens't reccomend them and for what reasons.
    Currently (and for the next few years most likely) I live in an apartment. I don't have a sub, but my mains do a good job as full range. I have a Marantz SR5200 for the 5.1 and a Kenwood stereo reciever that can be used for the bass shakers.

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

just my opinion, id rather hear the bass than feel it.

3. Aaron_Morris

Understandably, but have you had any actual experiance with bass shakers to give a valid critique?
    I agree with the responces of a lot of the "feeling" from really low frequencies is from the feeling in your chest and rest from the rest of the body along with the actual hearing of the sound. I agree with this from my car audio experiance with the bass heads that are all about SPL from thier subs. I think it is a neat experiance to feel bass like that. And since I am in an apartment, cranking up the volume on my sub ( granted I don't actaully have one at the moment, but if I did) is not really a viable option, considering I would rather like to avoid getting evicted.

What I am really concerned with here are people that have had some bad experiance with them, such as faulty build quality, it destroyed the couch, they are noisy, and things of this nature. Not so much someone stating that they prefer to hear something rather than feel it, without stating whether or not they have actually used on or demoed one.

But, thanks for the responce none-the-less.

4. John H

John H Second Unit

Aaron,

In your particular situation I believe you will benefit from the installation of tactile transducers.

I have been using tactile transducers in my system for 5 years. I use them to activate a queen size adjustable bed in my bedroom based system.

My first setup was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units.(ultra high performance Aura) I used these for over a year and decided to upgrade.

I replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F models. A year later I upgraded to a pair of Clarks Platinum models when they made their debut.

The Clarks were a significant performance improvement over the RBH units. They offerd much more control and detail.

At that time I also installed a pair of "original" Buttkickers and Carvin DCM1000 power amplifiers. The Clarks are exceptional units but when in comes to low frequency extension and output the Buttkicker has no peers. I now drive them with a pair of Crown K2 amps.

I have no experience with the Buttkicker2. It is a revised version of the original. It is smaller and more efficient and according to the manufacture offers equivalent performance.

I have not had problems with any of the manufactures units.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Aaron,it sounds like the shakers would be the right move for you.I have,at least so far,seen no negative reviews of shakers or heard of shakers being destructive.
    What shakers have done for me, is allowed me to move from a much larger sub,to a smaller more precise sub(read clarity),and still feel the bass in movies.
    Good luck and happy shaking,lol.

6. Aaron_Morris

Thanks guys. The input is appriceated. I'd really like to get a pair or two. I am just curious if anyone has had a bad experiance. I don't even think the reports of bad experiances would change my decision of buying them. However, I would still like more input.

Thanks again.

7. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I've wired four of 'em (2 sets of 8 ohms) under a fairly lightweight 3-cushion 7'+ sofa.

I've found that they detract from some movies (IMHO, flicks with large portions of LFE, such as ostensibly scary flicks, while it sounds cool, it just overpowers you over time). So I don't turn on the amp (old Marantz 2230) for those flicks. For movies where they really rock (such as the Jurassic Parks, stuff with explosions, etc.), they _really_ rock. My sub is a DLS-10.

IMHO, it's the best $60+cheap amp (_must_ play between 20hz and 100hz) combo I've ever seen...

I've finally figured that the best way to adjust 'em is to adjust your LFE out level to your sub (I tweaked it with the sub's volume knob to where it is about +3 on the 1803 with the Ratshack meter), then adjust the power to the shakers while repeating an LFE-heavy scene (I used the dino fight in JPIII) and tell a buddy to raise/lower the volume. On my 30-watt Marantz, the level is at about two o'clock (and "off" is at 7 o'clock), so it's turned up a fair amount, but not hugely.

8. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

I had 4 wired in series = 8 ohms x 2 under my couch. I split the sub output of my receiver into 2, one to the M&K sub the other to an old old Kennwood 50Wx2 intergrated amp.

It's about the cheapest upgrade you could do to you home theater [​IMG]