What's new

Anyone have any thoughts on Rotel amplifiers? (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I just purchased a Rotel 1055 receiver and love it. I am using a old Adcom 2535 for the center backs and a 2nd zone. The Adcom is not the best match with the Rotel soundwise but for the center backs it does the job.

I was using a Acurus A100x3 for the front 3 channels but I really prefered the 1055's sound over the Acurus's. Everything seemed smoother and easier to listen to at high volumes. Watching a movie at reference levels with my 3802 and the Acurus was difficult, with the 1055 while its still loud I can easily watch a movie at reference levels.

I have been looking at the Rotel RB976 (6x60 or 3x150 amp). I'm thinking about brigding the amp to the 3 channel mode and having the 1055 power the surrounds channels. Of course I could always have the amp power the R/C/L/CB1/CB2 and have the receiver power the side surrounds. Do you think that the amps 60 watts will sound better than the 1055 75 watts? I tend to listen fairly loud.

I am using all Klipsch speakers and SVS subs. All speakers are set to small and high passed at 60hz. Room is fairly large, its a finished basement approximently 21x25(total area, HT side is 14x21). My site has some pics of the HT for reference.

TIA

Earle

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
The RB976 60 watts would be just fine for the surrounds. No way would the amps be overly taxed. This in turn would free up some of the power of the 1055's amps for the other channels. I have the RMB-1066 amp powering my whole setup(5x70) and its more than enough.

Kevin

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same rmb-1066 (Kevin and I keep running into each other on these threads, we must be the only two people who own it:) ). I use it in the 3 channel configuration and let my receiver handle the rears. So little really takes advantage of the rears I would rather have the power up front and sacrifice a little quality in the rears.
Jason

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I have a 7.1 setup with the RMB-1075 (120x5) powering the 5 front channels and an RMB-1050 (70x2) powering the two rear center channels, all being driven by an RSP-1066 pre/pro. These amps have plenty of juice to spare, and the sound is fairly neutral while leaning on the smooth side. They've never sounded compressed or overtaxed, even at high volume.

As for your concerns over the difference between your receiver's amps and a separate amp, I'd bet that any difference wouldn't be noticeable. Rotel makes some high-quality stuff, so I'd bet that the amp in the receiver is up to the task.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I have the RMB-1095 and A RB-1090.The 1095 has two extra channels not being used until I get a 7.1 pre/pro.Right now I use the RSP-985 THX pre/pro.My speakers are Tannoys and are rated at 6ohms so the 1090 is putting out 500watts per channel into my left and right speakers and the 1095 is putting out about 330watts to the center and surrounds.Thats 1990 watts!!. :)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
rotel sucks...

oh wait, i own one...

nm....

actually, i have a rsx-1055, am thinking about getting a separate amp (rotel 1095 is high on the list) as the receiver itself can't compete with my old receiver's.

Rich

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I have the 976, I use it in the 3X150 mode (actually I only use the 2 channels for my 2 rears, it works great).

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Thanks for the info guys. I have some more questions.

Are there any problems that can arise from brigding a amp?

Does it affect sound quaility in anyway?

Would I be better of getting a higher powered 3 channel amp?The B&K 140x3 comes to mind.

thanks again

Earle

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I would opt to spend more money on a really good five channel amp.The Rotel RMB-1095 can be had for around $1700.00.Adcom makes a good five channel amp also.I once had an Adcom three channel amp and a smaller Adcom amp to handle the rears.My problem was that I kept wanting to increase the power to the rears and make it equal to the front amp.So I sold them and bought the Rotel five channel.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Ok,

Well I just bought a RB-985 mkII 5 channel amp. Rated at 110 watts/channel. I pick it up in the morning. I'll post my thoughts on it shortly.

Thanks for all the input

Earle

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Well, Its home and I love this amp. It looks as good as it sounds. It matches pefectly with 1055, which is now only powering the center backs.
With HT I'll be honest, I really cant tell a difference, but I havent watched anything at reference volumes yet. The next time my wife and son are out Ill let something rip.
Now for the good part. While listening to music you can most definatly hear a difference. Im not really sure how to describe the difference I hear, but everything seems to be more focused and clear. Miles and Coltrane have never sounded so smooth and good.
I give this amp a big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: and recommend it to anyone interested in a 5 channel amp.
Earle

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks