1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any Sears Pricematch successes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geordy, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a Sony 43T90, or the Hitachi 43UWX10B. Sears carries both, and I was wondering what websites they pricematch, and do you have to include shipping?
    Thanks,
    Geordy
    ------------------

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Yes, quite a few of us have been successful. Don't let them tack on more than $40 for delivery because you have to pay them tax. You may have to visit a few different stores and talk to different salespersons. Good Luck!

3. Howie D

Howie D Stunt Coordinator

Geordy,
    I recently bought a Panasonic PT-47WX49 from Sears online and they price matched Onecall.com's price of 1799.00. As Brian stated, don't pay anymore than 40.00 for delivery. They'll verify the price while your on the phone with them.
    Good luck!!

4. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I got a Yamaha HTR5280 from Sears online. They had it priced at $799 on their site. I found it on some farout Internet site for $535. Sears matched it, but, I did have to pay sales tax and shipping which brought the total up to around $590. It was still a good savings at the time. I was really surprised that Sears would go this low. They do want to know which site it's on and they verify.

5. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

The best way to do this is to print out the exact page it appears on on the site and circle the price beside the TV. That's what I did when I had Sears price-match my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

6. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Last year I pricematched a JVC 32" D series tv to $620. It was selling for $749 at the time. The pricematch did not include shipping but Sears accepted it. I'm sure they learned a few things since then though. [​IMG]

7. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

Brian brings up a good point:
    I will be pricematching a Panasonic 47WX49 16:9 in two weeks...
    Why should they tack on shipping AND tax?
    I would think it makes sense to tell the Salesman "Look. I can get this TV from this online store, for $1649, plus $180 for shipping to my door, for a total of $1829. Now, *why* would I want to come in here and give you the commission if you want to add sales tax onto that? Why don't you knock off the $140 difference off your price, and you can sell it to me for $1829, plus your $40 for delivery?"
    It really doesn't make any sense if you think about it...
    HHmmmmmm......
    Howie: So let me get this straight. I can call Sears Online and pricematch an internet store. I direct them to a link where the TV is $1649.95, and they will match the price AT THAT PRICE? What else would they tack on? Will the TV come through my local B&M store? How did you work that? I would GREATLY appreciate the steps you took for this!
    [Edited last by Butch Smith on August 26, 2001 at 02:15 AM]

8. Howie D

Butch,
    All I did was call them and told them I wanted to buy that TV. They gave me a price of 1899.99 at the time and I told them I could get it from OneCall for 1799.97 with shipping and no tax. First they agreed to the price and then tried to tack on the tax and shipping. I told them no to the tax and wanted a price of 1799.97 with tax but I would be more than willing to pay the 40.00 for delivery. Took a little more time to work the deal but they finally agreed on 1697.99 + tax. Once they agreed then I told them I changed my mind on the delivery. Since I just bought a new refridgerator the week before from Sears I told them to put it on the same truck and I shouldn't have to pay 40.00 for the fridge and another 40.00 for the TV. This again took a little more negotiating. Mainly me saying I'll return the fridge before it's even delivered and not purchase the TV. All in all I think they were pretty good. What's even better is that when I bought the fridge they gave me a 40.00 rebate towards delivery.
    FYI...they do only price match against some online stores. I originally tried to get them to match a price from Crazy Eddie.com and they immediately said No. From dealing with Crazy Eddie on the phone they had me a little more skeptical as a shady etailer so I decided to go with Sears.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

10. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I went in about 6 months ago to try them out and to get a credit card.
    I had a printout from pricescan.com that pointed to Crazy Eddies ( I printed the crazzy Eddie page as well) on a price of around $3000 for the Mitsu WS-65807.
    The guy I was working with looked over it for 3 seconds and said no problem. Cash or would you like to sign up for our card?
    I failed the card because I just bought a house. Anywho the price that Sears had the unit for was $3750 on the shelf. So that isn't too shabby of a savings!!!! [​IMG]

11. Howie D

I've never negated the fact of paying sales tax. I understand it's out of their control and it's required for Sears to charge tax since they're in every state. I was haggling and they accepted my offer. If they didn't want to they didn't have to sell it to me. I would still believe they made a profit from me..just less $100.00.

12. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I'm not trying to haggle to an unreasonable price, just trying to get it as cheap as the rules will allow.
    I had forgotten about the whole "charging sales tax if we have a buisness presence in your town". I just wish sales tax here wasn't 8%...
    I'm still a little foggy on who's shipping they would charge me: Will they charge me the matched price, plus the match site's shipping, PLUS their $40 delivery charge?
    Or will I be able to price match it at $1649, plus tax ($131.92), and then their $40 shipping for a total of $1820 shipped and tax included?
    I really appreciate all the help fellas. At my age, big purchases are not a light matter, so every dollar helps!
    By the way, this is what Sears said about the sites they will absolutely NOT match...
    "Due to concerns over integrity issues, Sears will not match
    the following sites under any circumstances.
    Broadway Photo.com
    BuyRiteDigital.com
    CCICameraCity.com
    DigitalDealz.com
    Expresscamera.com
    RegencyCamera.com
    RoyalCamera.com
    TurboPrice.com
    Us1digital.com"
    [Edited last by Butch Smith on August 26, 2001 at 01:01 PM]

13. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Remember, when you internet price match at Sears, the item must be in stock at the internet site. I ran into that problem.
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg
    My DVD Collection
    The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

14. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I price matched at SEARS for my Toshiba 50H81 a week ago.
    It arrived this past Friday.
    SEARS original price was marked as 2499.99.
    My first attempt was to match “HamptonImage.com” for 1980, but shipping was an additional 185 for a total of 2165.
    They ended up matching “ContinentalTrade.com” which was 2075 shipped.
    On top of that I got 12-months FREE interest for using my SEARS card so I don’t have to pay for this sucker until August 2002.
    Shawn S
    [Edited last by Shawn Sefranek on August 26, 2001 at 09:37 PM]

15. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Remember, most Sears stores and salespersons handle pricematching differently. I had to go to 4 stores in Atlanta until I found a salesperson that would give me the right deal. He didn't call the internet site to verify price, delivery charge or if the item was in stock. He charged me the appropriate tax and $40 delivery. I think if you order it at sears.com, they will be a little more picky about the online site.

16. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Somewhat off-topic, but if your Sears won't Pricematch, I've had very good luck using the "Best Value Guarantee" on my American Express Blue card. You buy the item, and see it cheaper somewhere else and call up Amex. They'll ask you to fax them a copy of the advertisement (which can be a printout of an Internet web site) and two weeks later you get a check. The main caveat is there is approximately a $1000 limit per year.

17. SonN

SonN Auditioning

Brian Harnish-
    How much did u get your KV-32FV27 for? Im about to get that TV sometime soon. Did everything come out fine?
    Thanks
    Son N.

18. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I have pricematched TV's at Sears twice. I got the Panasonic CT32HX40 for $1295 plus shipping $200 and tax (7.5%). My salesman waved the $40 Sears shipping charge. Of the 3 Sears within reasonable distance it was the only one to do Internet price matching. I didn't like having the shipping included but it was the cheapest price I was going to get locally. And since the original and it's 2 replacements all went back I'm glad I dealt locally. Sears stood behind their satisfaction policy every step of the way.
    I have replaced that TV with the Toshiba 50H81 for $2075 plus tax. My printout said shipping included and they didn't question it.
    IMHO CC and BB are good for viewing the TV's and Sears is better for buying. For some reason Sears are always the last place to get them on display though.