Anyone have any release date info for the "Amadeus - Soundtrack" in SACD format?

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Pine, Mar 29, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
  2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

August is what I read.

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Looks like April 27...

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/a..._cat.html#1791

No plans yet for the "More Music From Amadeus" or multi-channel, but this is still an attractive release.

BTW, the tape transfers are new to DSD - not using the 24-bit PCM remaster from the mid-1990s.

Cheers,

4. John Pine

John Pine
    I'm looking forward to getting this one. Thanks Felix and Mike!

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    John et al.:

Too bad that this isn't an SACD of the the three-disc The Complete Original Soundtrack Recording "Bicentennial Box."

Felix:

Where'd you read/hear this?

-p

6. John Pine

John Pine
    Paul: Yeah, and I was also wishing for a Multi-Channel release.

7. Felix Martinez

Straight from my contact at Fantasy.

Cheers,

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Felix:

Thx for the reply re your source on this SACD being mastered from new transfers to DSD.

The obvious answer is probably that, unlike the 2-discer, the "Bicentennial Box" is not the Grammy-winning, platinum-selling version. But might your Fantasy contact have any comment/offer any other rationale as to why they are releasing anything other than the complete soundtrack on SACD, the audience for which is arguably disproportionately audiophile/completist?

It would have been stunning: a fresh remaster of the complete score presented in multichannel, packaged with the wonderful book that came with the 3-CD box. And, although I know its wishful thinking, I always scratch my head when the record labels and movie studios don't work together on box office faves and/or seminal, Oscar-winning pics like this: why not offer a second SACD release that's bundled with Warner's 2-disc SE DVD in a handsome box?

-p

9. John Pine

John Pine
    Paul: Well put! Stunning and worth every penny, is exactly what it could have been!

10. Felix Martinez

No prob!

Unfortunately, the answer I was given to both the "More Music" disc and multichannel Q was "no plans at this time." I should get my copy in about 2 weeks; I'll be happy to post my thoughts.

Cheers,

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Felix:

Bring it. [​IMG]

-p

12. John Pine

John Pine
    Sounds good!

13. Felix Martinez

Just rec'd my copy.

It appears to be a new DSD transfer of the original 1984 mix of the score - not the remixed 24-bit PCM master that was produced in the mid-1990s during the time of the mega laserdisc box set (which included a 2-disc "superbit-mapped" downconverted Red Book CD set of the entire soundtrack - rearranged to include the "More Music..." material in sequence).

I never liked that mid-1990s re-mix and remaster included in the LD set. Some of the selections seemed a bit left-channel heavy (the opening track), and overall the mix did not seem as refined as the original release. I don't know if this is what ended up in the Bicentennial Box (I don't have that copy). All I know is the mix is different from this SACD, which I still have to compare carefully (mix-wise) to my original CD from the 1980s. This seems to be the original stereo mix.

Fidelity is much improved, but still a bit on the strident side (strings - probably the limitation of the master and/or the original engineering). Now, I'm basing this observation against the reference stuff I'm hearing from Channel Classics (i.e. La Stravaganza) - so please keep this in mind!

But clarity is stunning - like lifting a veil covering the original recording. Tape hiss is non-existent, yet the highs have not been compromised. The Pergolesi selection is impressive in that the low volume, delicate detail of the organ has never sounded better. This is what hi-res is about!

Just a few initial thoughts. I'm very glad I have it! As was said before - would have preferred a hybrid stereo/multi-channel release, but if you're a fan of this score, this is the best I've heard it sound.

Cheers,

14. John Pine

John Pine
    Felix: Thanks for the great feedback! I was kinda' on the fence about getting it, since it wasn't multi-channel. You may have persuaded me otherwise.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Thanks Felix. Count me in on this. I did not see it at Best Buyt today but Media Play is more reliable...

16. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Its nice to hear that this soundtrack is out; I've always liked the movie. I can't remember tho, who's on the soundtrack again?

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist....

17. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Just to confirm - is this a hybrid PCM CD and SACD?

M

18. Felix Martinez

Yes it is - and the downsampled, "superbitmapped," etc. Red Book audio is also outstanding. I did an A-B between the hi-res DSD stereo and the Red Book audio, and while certainly the hi-res takes the cake, the 16-bit, 44.1kHz remastering is nothing to sneeze at. Levels and dynamics seemed comparable as well, so it's good to hear that the Red Book was not dynamically limited much (if any). The noticeable difference between the two versions is the often-noticed improved transient response (the attack of instruments) and low-level spatial detail (the "air" between notes). But again, the CD layer sounds pretty damn good.

Cheers,

19. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

thanks

M

20. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Finally, another SACD worth my going on a hunt for! And out the door I go-